AQ on the Button-Too Passive??

krocktaschelkrocktaschel Red Chipper Posts: 11
Thoughts on the Hero's Play?

PokerStars - $0.30 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 79.03 BB (VPIP: 30.00, PFR: 13.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 30)
UTG: 121.6 BB (VPIP: 26.83, PFR: 14.63, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 42)
CO: 111.8 BB (VPIP: 100.00, PFR: 66.67, 3Bet Preflop: 50.00, Hands: 3)
Hero (BTN): 100.7 BB
SB: 147.67 BB (VPIP: 27.50, PFR: 22.50, 3Bet Preflop: 13.33, Hands: 42)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q:club: A:spade:

fold, fold, Hero calls 1 BB, fold, BB checks

Table folds to Hero on Button. SB folds and BB checks. Should Hero be betting in this position? How much?

Flop: (2.5 BB, 2 players) 3:spade: J:spade: 2:club:
BB bets 1.17 BB, Hero calls 1.17 BB

With two overs, should I be raising to this bet by the BB out of position?

Turn: (4.83 BB, 2 players) 4:spade:
BB bets 4.6 BB, Hero calls 4.6 BB

4 of spades gives hero a flush and straight draw. Should more pressure be applied here? Could the BB already have a made hand?

River: (14.03 BB, 2 players) 5:heart:
BB bets 13.33 BB, Hero calls 13.33 BB

BB shows T:spade: 7:spade: (Flush, Jack High)
(Pre 38%, Flop 47%, Turn 84%)
Hero mucks Q:club: A:spade: (Straight, Five High)
(Pre 62%, Flop 53%, Turn 16%)
BB wins 38.67 BB

Is there a better way to play this hand?

Comments

• sneakyfrogsneakyfrog Red Chipper Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Hi krocktaschel,
    First off, tough beat, especially with that river card (hard to get away there), but don't focus too much on the results. My suggestion would be to raise this hand preflop and be more aggressive in position, especially the flop. I also think the turn is a great place for an exploitative fold, considering Villian's bet sizing on the third flush card. In my experience, I haven't seen players bluffing frequently enough on flush cards to justify this call at lower levels. Turns are great for made hands, and the pot odds and/or implied odds would need to justify calling with just a combo draw here.
  • YoshYosh Red Chipper Posts: 580 ✭✭✭
    What made you limp the button? Is that part of a bigger strategy or did you just decide to do that on the fly? If you're new I would suggest raising the button with everything you're going to play for a min raise or 2.5x the big blind. @sneakyfrog nailed this one. His lead for .5 pot and then full pot when the flush arrives is a reliable tell until you see otherwise. Most low stakes players have it when they bet for full pot. Additionally you have the Ace of spades in your hand, which is the most logical card for the villain to bluff with. :(
    That being said you had outs and implied odds on the turn so a call is fine. I'd probably fold to the giant river bet as you don't beat anything and are chopping at best.
  • krocktaschelkrocktaschel Red Chipper Posts: 11
    I appreciate the insight. I'm not sure why I just called on the button, but at the time I was thinking that I had a decent hand and was trying to keep players in while I was in position. My first thought in retrospect when I first reviewed the hand was that I should've raised pre-flop.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file