SPLASHY GAMES

rickybrickyb Red Chipper Posts: 45
I have $1-3, $2-5 games that are very splashy, to where everyone wants to & usually does, regardless of the price w/open or 3-bets see the flop. Even when you make it min. 10x. And then you might see 3 players come along. They certainly are playing @ least semi wide. But playing none the less. I don't think you can continually bet/play for those amounts pre with several more players coming in. I know that the wisdom says you should like your play against those ranges. But they seem to make a hand of sorts, most of the time as they are also very sticky. They all like to gamble. The videos etc. that everyone shows are very passive type games where you 3-bet and everyone goes away. I find that most of the games these days are just the opposite..Sooo, how do combat these games without playing super premium and even then you get outdrawn a lot.
So, my question, Finally, is how do you play the games as the draw down is very strong..ANY IDEAS OF HOW TO COMBAT THESE GAMES. As the sites only seem to show the passive games where players are very wide and you can isolate very easily..What about some of these tuff games with sticky gamblers!!!!

Comments

• moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭
    One thing that I have found with a lot of pre-flop callers is that, if they get sticky on a flop cbet, they'll tend to be sticky all the way through the river. Like you said, it's had to bet/bluff them off.

BUT, I have also found that it's not uncommon that they'll fold on a flop bet. In other words, I raise pre-flop to, say, $25 and get 3 callers. A $40 cbet will often take down the pot, and that makes up for the times when I cbet, get a bunch of callers, and realize that I'm behind.
  • tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    IMHO, These games can make you a lot of money. I think the reason you don't see these games in videos is these players don't hang around for long. This type of station sticky play is just bad. Lets help them along their way to going broke. Go 12X go 14X.
    3-bet the heck out them. But with a strong range. If it continues you may have to widen your range and gamble more. But you can be sure your getting it in with the best of it often.
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the LATB videos here should give you some idea....
    as would watching as many Live At The Bike videos as possible (w/ or w/o Doug & Ed).

The best way to combat these types of games is to not give in to their style.
    Don't play Bingo poker - go in with a set strategy and follow it.
    Play in position.
    Bet big with your premiums pre.
    Don't c-bet flops that you have no equity on.
    Put more strong hands in your check/raise range.
    Consider limp/calling with hands that do well multi-way. (Soto talks a bit about this when he talks about "pain threshold." If there is no pain threshold, consider adjusting by not overbetting.)
    Be prepared to be stacked or win a stack... don't be scared money. (If you play smart poker, you'll have the edge in the long run. Bring multiple bullets and don't back down from a fight... within reason.)
    Bet for thin value on the river.
    Beware the notion of bluffing... if the game is loose and cally, it's spew. That said... if you get to the river with a perfect runnout in your favor, don't be shy.

Hope this helps.
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    Ed Miller wrote and article, and parts of it appear in a few of his books about how to beat these games.....

http://www.notedpokerauthority.com/articles/a-foolproof-strategy-for-wild-games.html

It's basically why short stacking these games is so profitable.....(not that fun but very profitable.)...

I would add that its very easy to stop watching the players...just assume every one plays loose and never folds....its not true......because there are so many players in every hand its tricky but, most will have some logic, and as you get deep with them, it will be gold....
  • DeezNutsDeezNuts Red Chipper Posts: 122 ✭✭
    Playing a home game like this tonight. It's pretty crazy the hands these cats come in with. They love riding the roller coaster that is poker.
  • mbehr1983mbehr1983 Red Chipper Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    My game like this as well. There is a podcast about it. Its boring strategy but works if you stick to it. These guys say there is no strategy. Last session 6 limps I raise to 25 UTG has 56 and min raises to 50 I jam and he insta shoves. I know I am so far ahead. He shows 6-3 and 63 on flop
  • DeezNutsDeezNuts Red Chipper Posts: 122 ✭✭
    mbehr1983 wrote: »
    My game like this as well. There is a podcast about it. Its boring strategy but works if you stick to it. These guys say there is no strategy. Last session 6 limps I raise to 25 UTG has 56 and min raises to 50 I jam and he insta shoves. I know I am so far ahead. He shows 6-3 and 63 on flop

Which podcast? I want to give it a listen before hand and see how it goes.
  • johnsupjohnsup Red Chipper Posts: 15
    The Ed Miller article is really interesting IF you're just entering an established game.

Two nights ago I had without a doubt my most profitable 1-3 night ever when a previously normal/good (key word "normal") game turned into a loony-fest midway through the night.

Although I hadn't read this forum thread, Kagey's advice is right on.

It was definitely an exceptional night. I started with a single $500 buy-in and was basically never stuck. Over the first 6-7 hours of the session I built my stack to over $1400 by mostly splitting the fish with another good player a few seats to my right. He cashed out after one of us busted several fish in succession, leaving several open seats. I wasn't ready to leave, at which point most of the empty seats were filled with maniacs, each of whom sat down with at least $1500.

One regular LAG sat down with 18 white chips and promptly starting opening hands with one each. (Incidentally, the house rule is that he couldn't buy in for more than the biggest stack - me - but it's not enforced unless the big stack objects. Which I didn't, because he was staggeringly drunk.)

On the second hand, one of said $100 open raises had two callers, and then 3 (count 'em, 3!) all-ins. There were multiple side pots, but the main pot was won by maniac #2 who called the open raise (and then all the shoves!) with 4-9 suited. (Needless to say I wasn't in the hand, just watched amusedly.)

So it was quickly apparent that the game dynamic had shifted - and just as apparent shortly thereafter that most of them were targeting me.

That is, against each other they were just playing Lotto. But when I entered a pot, I'd get a lot of folds and at least one re-raise. By getting a bit stickier and check-raising hands that hit, and by mostly following (in retrospect) Kagey's advice, I cashed out with $2800 about 4 hours later.

I want to quote those parts of Kagey's advice that were really relevant for me that night:
    kagey wrote: »
    Play in position.
    Bet big with your premiums pre.
    Don't c-bet flops that you have no equity on.
    Put more strong hands in your check/raise range.
    Consider limp/calling with hands that do well multi-way..

• Riverboat BillRiverboat Bill Red Chipper Posts: 446 ✭✭
    I play a home game that is somewhat like this game. Ed Miller's The Course book/video helped me maneuver the game. There is a video and several sections in the book dedicated to just this type game. I pretty much play ABC poker and don't go deep with hands trying to hit. I bluff them all the time. As someone mentioned everybody in the game is not clueless. I try to watch getting in big pots with everybody. I don't win every time I play, but the wins are greatly larger than my losses.
  • BenLeewoodBenLeewood Red Chipper Posts: 280 ✭✭
    Raise your super premium hands to 15x-20x. Easy money.

Start just limp calling with your lesser hands and focus on improving your post flop play.

I've played in these kinds of games. It can be frustrating but can also be lucrative.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file