Combinatorics.

ZENIZENZENIZEN Red Chipper Posts: 166 ✭✭
So I get the overall concept for the most part but I don't understand it enough to put it into practice . I count them out off the table etc but I would really enjoy a good video on the subject .
Thank you very much .

Comments

• NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭
    It takes a lot of off the table practice for it to become second nature on the table. Just search YouTube for videos on it, I know SplitSuit has a couple on there.
  • ZENIZENZENIZEN Red Chipper Posts: 166 ✭✭
    Thank you sir.
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Well, a pair is 6 combos. 2 cards suited is 1 combos obviously but if you want to know for example how many combos of 2 cards you can have just multiply them.

A = 4
    K = 4
    So 4x4 = 16

You have 16 combos of 2 cards for a specific type.

If for example there is a Ace on flop there is only 3 possibility for V to have Aces. So now if you want to know how many combos of AK he got its 3x4 and not 4x4 anymore since we remove an ace(spiked the flop) its the same principle for the rest. Pocket are a bit different but you grasp the concept and it's easy to know by heart. If a 6 spike the Flop, now there is only 3 sixes possible for V to have. So instead of 6 combos of Pocket sixes there is only 3 left. You divide by 2 when a card hit a street.

Logic is important when you calculate them. Let's say you got Ah Ts and you want to know how many combos how aces suited V now he cannot have
    Any Ace suited of heart since you got the Ah.

If you practice of them off table without software it will become second nature in no time.
    For me learning the combinatorics was a game changer when i started to define ranges and tried to know if i had fold equity or not.

On the river you bet 1/2 pot, so V need to fold 50% or greater to make it break even, know, knowing combos, it will help you a ton. If he got all AK for Air/Bluff catcher and call only with 2 type of PP which equals to 12 combos, knowing that combos of AK equals 16, you know the bet is ok. 16 combos fold, 12 combos calls. 16/28(total range combos)=57%. So V is folding 57%+

Knowing combos is a huge implement in your game if you didn't had it before.
    Yah it's a powerful concept for sure I'll keep working at it thank you !
  • tripletiretripletire Red Chipper Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    For me learning the combinatorics was a game changer when i started to define ranges and tried to know if i had fold equity or not.

On the river you bet 1/2 pot, so V need to fold 50% or greater to make it break even, know, knowing combos, it will help you a ton. If he got all AK for Air/Bluff catcher and call only with 2 type of PP which equals to 12 combos, knowing that combos of AK equals 16, you know the bet is ok. 16 combos fold, 12 combos calls. 16/28(total range combos)=57%. So V is folding 57%+

Knowing combos is a huge implement in your game if you didn't had it before.

Just because I care about technicalities I need to point this out but you actually need 33% folds when betting half pot to break even

:)
    Yeah sorry risk/risk+reward

Sometimes when I write form my cell it seems like I'm more sloppy than I was writing from my laptop...
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    I had a lot of trouble applying Combinatorics and getting a useful feel for it until I realized the all Combinatorics fit very well into the number 12, and was amazed that no one else seemed to have noticed this.

I made two post about this, they are a bit long winded but I think if you look at them, you might find that its a much easier way to understand Combinatorics.

The first one
    How the number 12 allowd me to easily do flopzilla in my head

http://forum.redchippoker.com/discussion/3472

And

http://forum.redchippoker.com/discussion/4146/thinking-about-ranges-trees-v-s-forest#latest

Personally this "Rule of 12" was the discovery that changed my game.
    That's very cool to read let me get my head around it thank you very much.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file