Flop Falcon software

2»

Comments

• tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    Doug may jump in and clarify certain aspects of the following but here is my understanding from beta testing the software.
    The default case for Flop Falcon, Set Mining 22-TT vs Nit Open Range JJ+ AJs+, AQo+. from the recent article "Why You set mine against nits" by Doug Hull, is a good place to start understanding Flop Falcon Software. Examine the ranges first then understand the requirements we have set for Hero and Villain. We are looking for "hits" as defined by those requirements. We are looking for situations where we flop high EQ hands and at the same time Villain "hits" too, but not as well. In this case, we are looking for Sets, Full Houses and Quads vs villains TP+. This will be the basis of formulating a strategy vs Villains range. The Flop requirements in this example are 100% meaning all flops. Look at the nine histograms and try to understand the data. Within each graph our average equity is shown by the red line, thats what flopzilla would tell you. The rest of the graph is a representation how our equity is defined from 0-100%. A light should come on. We are looking for profitable situations to play our ranges not just an EQ% as shown in flopzilla. It took me a while for it to sink in but I think you all will understand that this is a unique way to look how our ranges perform on different flops. Another feature that will blow you away is the ability to define what types of flops we want to see analyzed, (dynamic, static, paired, monotone, custom). This case just scratches the surface of the potential of this new program. There is really no way to compare it to flopzilla or poker cruncher. Lets move beyond that question and start to understand all this new data that flop falcon can provide.
    I cant wait for all the new content to start coming down the line using Flop Falcon.
    Let the Falcon Fly, Ca Caw...
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,034 -
    porter wrote: »
    @Doug Hull @Adam Wheeler

I'm looking forward to checking out Flop Falcon but, to be clear, Flopzilla does perform range vs. range analysis. You just have to open two instances of Flopzilla and link them to HoldEQ (which is free/included with Flopzilla). It is a bit clunky but it's very powerful. @SplitSuit has at least one video where he explores this functionality.

Yup, 100%.

Anyone who knows me knows I absolutely adore Flopzilla, and I think when both FF and Flopzilla are used together you can see things from a super technical perspective.

The biggest difference (imo) is this:

Flopzilla takes a broad stroke/averages look at situations
    Flop Falcon allows you to get more granular.

The one feature alone that FF has that makes it awesome (imo anyway) is the ability to do hit vs miss breakdowns. So you can say "OK, I'm thinking about calling 65s preflop vs a range of XYZ - how often will we both hit so I can gauge how often I get super paid off?" That measures a hit vs hit (and you can tell the software what constitutes as a 'hit') - but you can also see how often you both miss (are there spots where you can take it away on the flop?) and even go super granular and say "of the times we both hit, what are the normal equity distributions?" The equity distributions displayed in the histogram give a more detailed picture than just the average equity % that every other software outputs...

There are other features that I dig about Flop Falcon (and I'll make some videos about them in the near future) - but that feature alone allows you to really step back and create your preflop ranges with more precision.
    Agreed Flopzilla is a great piece of software that I use regularly. It's invaluable for hand review and training to hand read. Flop Falcon is a different animal, more focused on understanding Flop data and what our strategy should be. Two great pieces of software that should be in your arsenal.
  • pkrdemiepkrdemie Red Chipper Posts: 1
    Hi,
    A 40$ license on two computers ?
    THX Have a good day
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,790 -
    The user is licensed, not the PC. As long as people are not abusing this, it will keep working that way!
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • porterporter Red Chipper Posts: 312 ✭✭✭
    @Doug Hull Am I missing something or is there no free trial period?
  • QTxYankeeQTxYankee Red Chipper Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Question on usage rights. Can I use this on my desktop and laptop? Do you have an app version for tablet and phone?

No free trial period. There are plenty of training videos for Flop Falcon so you know what you are getting into.

QTxYankee wrote: »
    Question on usage rights. Can I use this on my desktop and laptop? Do you have an app version for tablet and phone?

It is the User that is licensed, not the machine. Be good.

Only PC version.

This was developed in MATLAB, an engineering analysis and visualization software. I am limited to the platforms that it can deploy to. If they expand (unlikely) so will I.

• ImperatorImperator Red Chipper Posts: 898 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    What if I told you some dinosaurs were birds and some birds were dinosaurs...

Actually this is what a lot evolutionary biologists say anyway, except substitute "all birds are dinosaurs but only some dinosaurs were birds!" So kudos to you @Christian Soto for coming up with a formulation that it took evolutionary biologists a good 30 years to come up with...
    Doug Hull wrote: »

No free trial period. There are plenty of training videos for Flop Falcon so you know what you are getting into.

Maybe I'm being a nit but I think I'd have a much better feel if I used it myself instead of watching you use it. For example, Flopzilla has a lower price point (I get that your software is different) and seven training videos, but still offers a one-week trial.

It seems standard to offer a trial or at least guarantee satisfaction at this price point but, of course, this is a business decision for you. I respect that and will drop it. I still may buy the software but it's much less likely.
    edited January 2017
    I have never refused a refund when requested on books, memberships or otherwise. Refund requests are rare but honored.

Mostly the no trial thing is because of limitations of our sales channel and DRM. I would rather spend my time adding features rather than trying to implement a trial period.
  • ImperatorImperator Red Chipper Posts: 898 ✭✭✭
    I would rather spend my time adding features

Doug ,the software looks good but this brings up an interesting point.

As you improve the performance, will we be able to get subsequent versions at no extra cost the way we do with Flopzilla? Or do you have another plan in mind?

I'm sorry if you answered this somewhere already....

edited January 2017
    Upgrades come with the price. As I put out new versions, Flop Falcon will alert you on startup and you can go download. The updates are significantly smaller to download and install.

The current release is 1.46 at release. I think I had about 15 updated versions during development and testing. It is very easy for me to push out fixes as I make them.
    I have never refused a refund when requested on books, memberships or otherwise. Refund requests are rare but honored.

Mostly the no trial thing is because of limitations of our sales channel and DRM. I would rather spend my time adding features rather than trying to implement a trial period.

Thanks for the responses, Doug. That is a reasonable way of doing it. I'll most likely buy it. The flop filtering in particular seems very useful. Also, that falcon caw is seared into my brain after watching the videos.
    That kind of intro is what happens when I don't have adult supervision (aka James) in making the videos! Lol!
    Ca Caw! The Flacon has launched! Congratulations Doug on a job well done. I can testify to the painstaking hours Doug has put into this product going from V 1.0 to final release . I gave him a suggestion list for addition features. He said to most things, maybe next version, but to my surprise he added all the things on my wish list and then some. I still can't believe we can cut and paste ranges from other programs and save. This is a specialized piece of software and in order to get the most out of it you need to be intuitive as to the way you want Flop Falcon to filter. The requirements for ranges, hit requirements and flop requirements are where the player knowledge comes in. There is really no limit to its functionality. Once you let the Falcon fly you must learn to interpret the data and then build strategies. Every scenario you run can be a custom tailored eureka moment.
  • Stephen YStephen Y Red Chipper Posts: 6
    Does Flop Falcon allow for adjustments to the weight of hands like in Flopzilla?
    Flop Falcon does not currently do weights. I have never found it that important. Taking the 'halvsies' in and out of the range and averaging is my method if I even care at all.

What is your use case?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file