How is my post-flop line here?

fizzgigfizzgig Red Chipper Posts: 10
edited February 2015 in Online Poker Hands
Advanced poker training, 6max, blinds $50/$100

I am utg and raise :Jd :Td to $300 , Tight-passive in the CO 3bets to $750, everyone folds.
4BET CALL OR FOLD?
This guy 3bets light sometimes according to my notes.
I have 43% equity against his 3bet range before the flop, so I think it might be best to 4bet or fold.
I think folding his probably best here I would rank possible actions"
1.fold
2.4bet
3.call
But, I decide to call $450 (about 2.67 to 1)
I think that this is not the best play and should be avoided most of the time.
Flop is :Qh :3d :5d , Pot is $1650, I am first to act.
BET OR CHECK?
We have 50% equity vs his range
I think both are ok, I know that this guy bets the flop virtually every time he 3bets pre-flop.
I think if he bets the flop, he’s doing so with his entire range.
So I check with the intention of re-raising if he bets.
*IS THIS CORRECT THINKING HERE? OR SHOULD I
-DONK THE FLOP?
-CHECK/CALL WITH INTENTION OF DONKING OR CHECK/RAISING THE TURN TO LOOK STRONGER?
He bets $1550, and I re-raise to $4000, he calls.
Turn is the :7h , pot is $9650, I am fta.
BET OR CHECK
Lets look at some ranges here.
His pre-flop 3bet range: AA-22,AKo-AQo,KQo,AKs-AQs,A5s-A2s,KQs,KTs-K8s,QTs-Q9s,J9s,T9s,98s,87s,76s
Range he calls my flop re-raise:AA-55,33,AQo,KQo,AKs-AQs,A4s,A2s,KQs,K9s-K8s,QTs-Q9s,98s,87s,76s (not exact, some of the suited hands are diamond only)
When he calls my 3bet, we’re starting to get into rough shape. (about 22.3% on the turn)
Because he is passive, he may have slow-played AA KK or sets.
He’s only folding about 30% of his new range. (66, 88-JJ)
According to fold equity calculator, he has to fold 20% of the time to make shoving profitable.
It is only slightly profitable to shove here and I think it may be a stretch that he called my re-raise on the flop with 66 or 88-JJ, but possibly. If he didn’t get to turn with these hands, then he’s never folding and we would need him to fold 25% of the time.
I ended up shoving the turn and he folded :6s :6h .
Turned out alright but I think I should have just folded pre-flop, but how was my play on the flop and the turn after the initial mistake?
Thanks,
Toby

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,918 -
    fold or 4bet preflop as a default (in more passive games or against tighter 3bet ranges just fold)

as played, I'd assume once someone calls the 3bet they have a pair or AK that they don't have an interest in folding. You could check the turn and he'll likely check back with AK giving you a free shot to see the river. I think the turn shove is spewy barring some really solid reads.
    My latest poker course brings the popular book 'Poker's 1%' to life- The One Percent

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file