back to online - general 6max strat - defending resteal

tagliustaglius Red Chipper Posts: 290 ✭✭
I've finally jumped back into online poker at Ignition this week (as a US player, haven't played since Black Friday). So far, I've played nothing but 5NL 6max Zone poker. I am way out of practice with 6max of course but it's coming back quickly.

One topic I thought would be worth some discussion would be defending 3bets when you attempt a 2.5x button steal and a blind makes it 8-9x. I know I get run over if I fold 75% of the time, so what type of range are we looking to flat and play postflop (assume 100BB stacks)?

I stacked myself today defending with KJs - which looking back might not be a great hand to defend with (even Ax light resteals are ahead of me), but I feel like we're folding too often if we can only defend with AT+/KQ+/88+. Maybe I'm wrong.

Comments

• SliverOverlordSliverOverlord Red Chipper Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    From my experience on 5NL Zone, going for blind steals at 2.5x on the button is asking to be 3bet with any two cards. There are a some monkeys who 3bet J3 off in zone at the slightest sign of weakness. However because its Zone, and you can't get reads, you could easily be running into a nit with AA. That being said, exploitably folding here at the micros isn't necessarily a bad thing. The thinking players aren't able to get reads and 3bet light to exploit you (and probably don't spend much time at 5NL Zone).
    I would highly recommend playing ignition cash games. It's easy to find fish and whales at 5NL if you stick around for 30-40 hands to identify them. I once found a maniac open shoving any two cards... very nice night for my bankroll. I've found a lot of success value betting TPTK for pot on 3 streets. Also if you don't have it, Holdem Indicator is a great tool for ignition cash.
  • YoshYosh Red Chipper Posts: 580 ✭✭✭
    A couple of things to think about.

Where is the 3b coming from? On average, the SB has much more incentive to 3b than the BB due to positional disadvantage and pot odds.

What kind of ranges are the blinds using? Are they linear or polarized?

How often are they 3 betting? There is certainly a threshold for folding beyond which you are open to exploitation, however if the villain is not reraising any two cards it isn't a hard line for defense.

I would always defend KJs.
  • tagliustaglius Red Chipper Posts: 290 ✭✭
    I would highly recommend playing ignition cash games. It's easy to find fish and whales at 5NL if you stick around for 30-40 hands to identify them.

Anyone use PT for Ignition cash? I like the idea of the HUD, but even more I like the database to keep track of my own stats over time and session-by-session.

As for the second post - we really can't tell how often a given person is three betting because all the players are anonymous at Ignition. However, we could take some sample of hands in Zone poker and look at the stats of the entire population, and then do some math to draw some conclusions from those numbers. This is something I plan on doing eventually as I get back into the online world.

• SliverOverlordSliverOverlord Red Chipper Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    I use Holden indicator on ignition cash, it just gives a basic HUD and no database, I don't think PT works on ignition. I think you can download additional software to allow you to import hand histories after you sessions but I play more on ACR now that I have PT. However on ACR I find fewer gamblers and more recreation poker players.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file