is this a spot I should be taking?

JimmyBJimmyB Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
I'm playing live 3-300 spread limit (so at any point in the hand $300 is the max bet/raise). I have been driving action and making the game play big. my standard open has been 20 and I am starting to see some resistance by my opponents starting to open up their calling ranges. Then this hand comes up I'm utg+1 with :Ad:3d and make it $20 mp calls with a $500 stack and the Button calls playing $700; I cover both. I view the mp player to be a thinking player and the button has been gambling a lot and wouldn't give up his button easily. So 3 way to the flop of :8h:7h:2d. I check thinking that hits my opponents calling range much more often than it hits mine mp checks button bets $20 into $65, I read this as a weak stab at the pot and decide to raise to $65. surprisingly, to me mp calls and so does the button. turn is the :7d, given that I put my opponents on a mostly draw heavy ranges on the flop, I decide to continue on the turn and bet $135. mp folds and the button takes about a minute before calling. river card comes the :5s. my plan on the river was to bomb, but when it came time to pull the trigger I chickened out and checked. the button puts out $200 and I fold. When I left the game I asked him about the hand and he told me he had 56 that made a pair he turned into a bluff on the river. I think my logic was good, I just needed to follow through on the river when only one draw gets there.

so I guess my question is are these spots I should be getting myself into or should I just be check folding this flop? I have been listening to a lot of Soto's videos and I'm starting to see the game differently and now I really don't like to give up on any pots! So I would love to hear what you guys think!

Comments

• kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love that you're putting yourself in tough spots and then trying to get yourself out of it!
    Kudos!
    That's the only way you're going to get better.

That said: What you've seen here is the power of position.
    So the obvious answer is to check/fold when you're oop to save chips and face.
    But obvious = easy.

There's nothing wrong with experimenting like you're doing.
    So what if you lost a hand?
    You came up with a great solution that if executed, probably would have worked!

The real question you should be asking yourself is:
    are you playing just to win money?
    or
    are you playing to improve and eventually move up?

When you know the answer (which I think you already know), you'll know the answer to your question.
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭
    JimmyB wrote: »
    I'm playing live 3-300 spread limit (so at any point in the hand $300 is the max bet/raise). I have been driving action and making the game play big. my standard open has been 20 and I am starting to see some resistance by my opponents starting to open up their calling ranges. Then this hand comes up I'm utg+1 with :Ad:3d and make it $20 mp calls with a $500 stack and the Button calls playing $700; I cover both. I view the mp player to be a thinking player and the button has been gambling a lot and wouldn't give up his button easily. So 3 way to the flop of :8h:7h:2d. I check thinking that hits my opponents calling range much more often than it hits mine mp checks button bets $20 into $65, I read this as a weak stab at the pot and decide to raise to $65. surprisingly, to me mp calls and so does the button. turn is the :7d, given that I put my opponents on a mostly draw heavy ranges on the flop, I decide to continue on the turn and bet $135. mp folds and the button takes about a minute before calling. river card comes the :5s. my plan on the river was to bomb, but when it came time to pull the trigger I chickened out and checked. the button puts out $200 and I fold. When I left the game I asked him about the hand and he told me he had 56 that made a pair he turned into a bluff on the river. I think my logic was good, I just needed to follow through on the river when only one draw gets there.

so I guess my question is are these spots I should be getting myself into or should I just be check folding this flop? I have been listening to a lot of Soto's videos and I'm starting to see the game differently and now I really don't like to give up on any pots! So I would love to hear what you guys think!

If you're telling the story that you're trying to tell your opponents about your hand, what does this river change? You've played it like 88 or an overpair so far and there are a lot of hands that Villain can play the flop and turn like this that would have to fold vs. a big river bet. If you're going to play the flop and turn that way, you have to follow through on a blank river.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file