Hand Selection

kevinhaggykevinhaggy Red Chipper Posts: 25 ✭✭
I been playing online poker for about a year, I put in at least a tournament per day. But I only have played in 4 daily tournament and do good in them. But, the medium pace tourneys I played in 3 and haven't done to well in them. The best one I had was a wsop circuit at foxwoods and I tripled up with 30 thousand chips, starting stack 10 thousand by the 2 second round. After that I just stayed at that 30 thousand and got busted by round 12. But, after attended 2 more tourneys, medium paced with with blinds moving up every half hour.

I feel my biggest problem is my hand selection, it is suitable for online, but not for live mtt. It feels like online is moving a lot faster and I play more hands, also there is no automatic shufflers at live tourneys. I continue to see player's who are picking up alot of chips with some hands what I learned from many books and training sites as horrible hand selection's.

My question is, should I loosen up my hand selection up a lot for the live play? I follow a very strict range of hands when playing in certain postiton's.

Comments

• MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 94 ✭✭
    Sounds like you are playing to ABC and that is exploitable. Try opening up your ranges
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    I see this differently than @Mnpoker. Just because other people are playing with a wide range doesn't mean that you should. They'll win some pots when they hit, but I'm willing to bet that they'll lose a lot more often than they win. Stick your pre-flop range and you'll have range advantage over most of the players there.

That being said, an online range can be different from a live one depending on how many tables you tend you play. But, I'll let the players here who play both speak to that. Just make sure that you don't expand your range more than you should simply because others are at the live tables -- it's the very fact that they are playing too many bad hands that will give you your profit.

Good luck!
  • uglytunauglytuna Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Write down all hands you play from each position from different stack sizes. After you understand your hand selection you can then be comfortable opening a certain from a particular position. If you open QTs UTG, one time and fold it another, this would be a leak. Full ring folding QTs is the optimal play but 6 handed it would be an open. Of course table conditions can affect your decision too. However discipline and patience is utmost importance for being successful at poker.

Tuna
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 94 ✭✭
    No direspect to moishetreats but as someone who plays the tournaments that you are asking about you must open your range. I am not saying to play 8-2 but if you play the same hand range from the same position you are exploitable. I use to play like you, only this hand range early and another tier in the middle and another tier on two late. I could never gather chips and if I made it to the final table I had no chips and would only min cash. Finally a poker friend of mine was at my table and pulled me side and told me that I was playing too tight of a starting range. We spent a couple of hours going over positional changes to range and opening bluff frequency. Since making the changes I get paid off more often, have won enough daily tournaments to move up the buy in ladder. Kevin find a player that you trust and respect, have them watch you (hopefully while playing at your table) and help you open your range and I am also going to assume that your betting patterns will also need some help.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Mnpoker wrote: »
    No direspect to moishetreats but as someone who plays the tournaments that you are asking about you must open your range. I am not saying to play 8-2 but if you play the same hand range from the same position you are exploitable. I use to play like you, only this hand range early and another tier in the middle and another tier on two late. I could never gather chips and if I made it to the final table I had no chips and would only min cash. Finally a poker friend of mine was at my table and pulled me side and told me that I was playing too tight of a starting range. We spent a couple of hours going over positional changes to range and opening bluff frequency. Since making the changes I get paid off more often, have won enough daily tournaments to move up the buy in ladder. Kevin find a player that you trust and respect, have them watch you (hopefully while playing at your table) and help you open your range and I am also going to assume that your betting patterns will also need some help.

My bad. Brain fart. Somehow, the fact that this was a live TOURNEY fell out of my mind even though that was the whole point of the OP's post. I was responding for a live cash game.

I withdraw my suggestion and crawl into a ball in a corner. You can let me out next week.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file