Frequencies

YoshYosh Red Chipper Posts: 580 ✭✭✭
Hypothetical. Let's say we decided off table to 4b some number of hands after determining what we believed to be the best amount of 4b vs. an unknown opponent's 3b. It's going to be some value AA/KK/AKs and some number of bluffs to keep villain indifferent between 5b shoving and folding with his 3b bluffs. The question is then, do you determine when to 4b bluff based on a specific card combination signal, or your brain's interpretation of when is now? This question applies to all cases where you are trying to achieve some level of balance. Do you let the cards dictate the action or just choose from similar holdings when the time seems right?

Comments

• Wiki_LeaksWiki_Leaks Red Chipper Posts: 564 ✭✭✭
    If you can 4bet bluff correctly based on timing I never want to sit in the same game with you.

• bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's opponent specific. You can certainly 4 bet a balanced range against people that are actually 3 betting a balanced range. But, obviously, you don't want to 4 bet a balanced range against the guy who has limped or folded for the last 4 hours. Instead, target the guy who hasn't limped and who has 3 bet a bunch. Also, pay attention to who the 3 bettor is 3 betting. If he's 3 betting the NIT, then he's either an idiot or simply getting smacked in the face with the deck. So, the guy who appears to be 3 betting a bunch may not even be the guy to 4 bet with a balanced range.
  • MtipsterMtipster Red Chipper Posts: 131 ✭✭
    Interesting question! Of course, timing and card signal should align over time. We could look at it reverse, too: Let's say you use "card signal" as a deciding factor, sit on a table with unknown player and get dealt good bluffing cards several hands in short time. What to do? Do you ignore card signal and fold?
  • YoshYosh Red Chipper Posts: 580 ✭✭✭
    I also read that humans are incredibly bad at pretending to be random. It seems that one or the other should be correct, but not both.
  • volcanovolcano Red Chipper Posts: 346 ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I play live low stakes poker, so either I 4bet for value with aa/kk or I have a live read that im able to bluff profitably. Nits and omc who dont bet alot arent likely to fold after they 3 bet. They also have a better hand than you so they dont notice that you folded. No balance needed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file