Flopped a House multiway 300BB deep, should I have raised the turn to charge draws? 10NL

hellsdesirehellsdesire Red Chipper Posts: 22
Hi guys, flopping a house is always wonderful, but I think I missed some value here.

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed)
saw flop | saw showdown

MP2 ($19.03)
MP3 ($5.45)
Hero (CO) ($29.73)
Button ($11.72)
SB ($5.11)
BB ($10)
UTG ($10)
UTG+1 ($10)
MP1 ($10.10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6club.gif, 6spade.gif
3 folds, MP2 raises $0.30, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.30, 1 fold, SB raises $0.77, 1 fold, MP2 calls $0.52, Hero calls $0.52

Flop: ($2.56) 6heart.gif, 4heart.gif, 4club.gif(3 players)
SB bets $1.72, MP2 calls $1.72, Hero calls $1.72

Turn: ($7.72) 2club.gif(3 players)
SB bets $2.57 (All-In), MP2 calls $2.57, Hero calls $2.57

River: ($15.43) 8spade.gif(3 players, 1 all-in)
MP2 checks, Hero bets $7.71, 1 fold

Total pot: $15.43
Main pot: $15.43 between Hero and SB, won by Hero

Results below:
SB had Jheart.gif, Jdiamond.gif (two pair, Jacks and fours).
Hero had 6club.gif, 6spade.gif (full house, sixes over fours).
Outcome: Hero won $14.66

Thought Process: MP2 who is 23/10 with AF 8 over 70 hands raises to $0.30, and with pocket 66 I decided to call from the CO. The SB is an unknown, first hand played with him but he is short-stacked so probably not a good player. He decides to make a ill-sized squeeze to $0.82 and MP2 calls. Now the pot is only $2.04 due to the bad squeeze size from SB, and I am getting 4 to 1 on a call so I opted to call. I usually do not do this since pocket 66 do not play well in 3 bet pots, but the price was too good. The second reason I called is because I'm 300BB deep, and MP2 is 200BB deep. I might be able to win a monster pot if my set mine hits.

Lo and behold, I flopped a house when the flop comes 6heart.gif, 4heart.gif, 4club.gif

SB decides to CB for $1.72 and MP2 calls. I have a clear call here I believe. Raising will most likely chase MP2 away if he has any draws. The turn is the 2c, and SB shoves his remaining $2.57 and is all in. MP2 calls, and here is where I think I made a mistake.

SB is already all in so I can no longer win any more money from him. MP2 however, after calling the $2.57, has $13.92 behind. Given that he called SB's 3 bet, his range most likely comprises of overcards with a flush draw that called the flop and the turn or middling overpairs to the board. If this is the case, I should put in a minraise here on the turn. If I minraise to $5.14, the pot will be $18 and he will be getting 7 to 1 on a call and there is no way he would fold almost any drawing hand. Plus if he was on a flush draw, he may think that I'm just trying to get him off his hand with a silly minraise and that if his hand hits he will be able to stack me.

As played, I decided to call instead. I thought that I wanted him to hit his card and was afraid that raising would just chase him away. I did not realize that I could put more money into the pot by giving him a sick price to call through a minraise. The river brings the 8s. Unless he has pocket 88s, this changes almost nothing.

MP2 checks to me and I decided to bet half the pot which is $7.71, hoping he will think I'm bluffing and call with some second best hand. Of course, villain decides to fold. SB shows pocket jacks and I win the pot.

Question 1) Was my preflop squeeze call standard? Given the implied odds and the sick price.

Question 2) I don't think I played the flop wrong. However, on the turn I think I should have put in a minraise since the chance of him hitting his flush is only 1/5 and I must as well get some extra money the 4/5 times he doesn't hit. And try to act as if I'm bluffing on the river since he is a little more pot committed and may think my minraise was just a silly suspicious bet.

Question 3) Should I have just bet something like $4 on the river to make it easier for MP2 to call?

Any input would be appreciated!

Comments

• tagliustaglius Red Chipper Posts: 290 ✭✭
    I think you should have bet the river bigger, not smaller, on the off chance he has a 4. (unlikely due to the action, but possible).

In the long run, I don't care about winning a couple big blinds from busted Ace-high flush draws, we should swing for the fences with our monsters - getting paid a monster bet 5% of the time is worth more than getting paid by weak crap in dribs and drabs.

Minraise on turn sounds good - though it might scare away even a FD with a paired board, although a 4 is never folding, so it matches my logic above.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    I think that you're fine with the pre-flop call.

Like @taglius, I think that you should have min-raised (at least) the turn. The logic is: if V2 has nothing, then he'll fold to anything at any point. But, if he has something, then you want to play for stacks. Getting a little more money in the pot at the turn helps that -- especially in a side-pot. If you check the turn and bet the river, then V2 has to beat TWO hands to win the pot. If there is a side-pot, though, then V2 only has to beat your hand to win at least something. That might induce a slightly wider calling range.
  • hellsdesirehellsdesire Red Chipper Posts: 22
    taglius wrote: »
    I think you should have bet the river bigger, not smaller, on the off chance he has a 4. (unlikely due to the action, but possible).
    Interesting, I suppose in the rare case he does have a 4 it would be better if I shoved on the river. And I guess it looks bluffier? Betting half pot may have seemed too much like a value bet.
    taglius wrote: »
    Minraise on turn sounds good - though it might scare away even a FD with a paired board, although a 4 is never folding, so it matches my logic above.
    I think that you're fine with the pre-flop call.

Like @taglius, I think that you should have min-raised (at least) the turn. The logic is: if V2 has nothing, then he'll fold to anything at any point. But, if he has something, then you want to play for stacks. Getting a little more money in the pot at the turn helps that -- especially in a side-pot. If you check the turn and bet the river, then V2 has to beat TWO hands to win the pot. If there is a side-pot, though, then V2 only has to beat your hand to win at least something. That might induce a slightly wider calling range.
    Agreed, looking back I think I missed some value on the turn by not minraising. It seems very likely that he would have called since he already put a bit of money in the pot. I don't think raising on the flop would be a good play though as he will be a bit more cautious. On the other hand, since we are deep maybe he would have continued. I'm kind of on the fence now that I think about it. Hmm. But minraising on the turn was definitely the more optimal play given how deep we both were.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file