Re-steal Jam stacks

PaulPaul Red Chipper Posts: 7
Hi everyone. At the moment when I am playing MTT's I get really scared about raising light into stacks that are in the 5-15bb range. This is because I feel like they will rejam me everytime, but I was wondering what people raise/fold ranges should look like when raising into the types of stacks. On the one hand, even if you cannot call, annoying as it is, you only lose 2 big blinds if you are min-raising, so I guess it should be profitable. I feel like I have a good feel for when I should call them, but less of an idea of how to use a big stack to raise light against them.

Thanks

Comments

• NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭
    Paul wrote: »
    Hi everyone. At the moment when I am playing MTT's I get really scared about raising light into stacks that are in the 5-15bb range. This is because I feel like they will rejam me everytime, but I was wondering what people raise/fold ranges should look like when raising into the types of stacks. On the one hand, even if you cannot call, annoying as it is, you only lose 2 big blinds if you are min-raising, so I guess it should be profitable. I feel like I have a good feel for when I should call them, but less of an idea of how to use a big stack to raise light against them.

Thanks

If you're looking to steal with a less than stellar hand, it needs to be against medium size stacks, or in other words stacks that have something to lose by playing a pot with you. Larger stacks are willing to play more pots and smaller stacks will often shove, pricing you in with a hand that you would rather not play.
  • TravisTravis Red Chipper Posts: 237 ✭✭
    Milka Antonnen addressed this recently in his articles on MTT short stack play from the blinds. The min raise gives a lot of options to the bb. He was of the opinion that 2.5x is big enough to reduce the +ev hands to be more effective when raising/stealing from button or even hj
  • PaulPaul Red Chipper Posts: 7
    Thanks man that is exactly what I was looking for!
  • PaulPaul Red Chipper Posts: 7
    With regard Ninjah, that was exactly why I was asking the question, because I don't like raising into short stacks for exactly that reason. However, at the same time I want to use my larger stack more effectively and I can't just never raise because there is a short stack there also, so that is the tricky bit.
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭
    Paul wrote: »
    With regard Ninjah, that was exactly why I was asking the question, because I don't like raising into short stacks for exactly that reason. However, at the same time I want to use my larger stack more effectively and I can't just never raise because there is a short stack there also, so that is the tricky bit.

Playing as the large stack, don't feel that it is up to you to knock out or put tremendous pressure on the 10bb or less stacks. Let the smaller stacks eat each other. Playing as the larger stack allows you to be even more selective than usual. At the same time, if it folds to you in late position and you have something like A9o, KTo, or QTo, I would look to steal and even call a jam vs a short stack if I have a larger stack. Just don't get carried away.