Unknown Publisher

GER4PokerGER4Poker Red Chipper Posts: 48 ✭✭
All,
I had a problem with the Unknown Publisher with Windoze 10. You have to turn off security in Internet Options

Comments

• GER4PokerGER4Poker Red Chipper Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Duh! The program was Flop Falcon
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,082 -
    That's because the software is still brand-new. Windows does this as a safety precaution with new software since it thinks low-download count = higher-chance of issue.

I assure you - everything is fine and it's a false flag =)
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,876 -
    I concur.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • GER4PokerGER4Poker Red Chipper Posts: 48 ✭✭
    If by chance anyone took my comment to say that Flop Falcon was broken in anyway let me disabuse you of that notion. Being a Mac person, using Windoze 10 is an acid trip.
    I meant no disparagement to Doug's application, in fact I thought I was help eveyone in the forum that had Mac's.
    No offense taken. I think as more install it, thus will stop. If anyone knows how to register, I am interested!
  • Chris SChris S Red Chipper Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Just seeing this post now...

To have your software show up as trusted when installed in Windows you need to need to digitally sign the software. Digitally signing verifies that it is the original unmodified software and not tampered with, etc. In general this is a really good idea as it means people can trust that the software hasn't been infected with a virus and isn't corrupt.

The main downside is it requires a bit of work to register your company and get your own certificate from a certificate authority. I think it also costs money in some cases to get a certificate.

Here is some information on signing software from Microsoft:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537361

You can also just google something like "digitally sign windows installer" and find more information.
    I think this warning started going away, or not occurring, as more people installed. Does that seem reasonable considering I did nothing with certification?
  • derdonkerderdonker San Jose, CA USARed Chipper Posts: 125 ✭✭
    I got the message tonight when registering FF. I'm not a Windows developer, but I seem to recall to make this go away, the app being distributed has to be signed by a MSFT approved cert. The @Chris S info is probably it.
  • Chris SChris S Red Chipper Posts: 60 ✭✭
    I got the message as well when installing it a couple days ago which is why I posted about it.

This message won't go away from simply having more people install it. Digitally signing the software is required as it provides a guarantee that the software came from the right person and is not tampered with by using public key cryptography.

Because you sign the software with a certificate that is trusted and verified it lets the user and Windows know that the software is authentic and not tampered with (i.e. No one hacked the web server and uploaded a malicious version)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file