Me vs. 5 TAGS

JackSixJackSix Red Chipper Posts: 3
This is my first post on the forum, although I've been listening to the Podcast religiously since it's first episode over a year ago. Here goes.

I find my natural aggression really works great at most tables, but last night, I was at a 6 max with 5 TAGS. I couldn't extract anything from them. I naturally played a wider range, but they fold before committing any money and when they do play back at me, they have me beat. Needless to say, it was not a satisfactory session.

Other than changes tables (which I did not do because I wanted to figure it out), how could I have made my session profitable (or at least break even)?

Thanks for your thoughts

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,975 -
    Welcome to the party Jack!

These sessions are easy - but boring. Just steal relentlessly and if the nitty ones start to fight back - they typically have something. My goal on these tables is to loosen them up (by playing loose myself at first) and then see how they adjust.
  • JackSixJackSix Red Chipper Posts: 3
    Thanks Splitsuit. Love the Podcasts. Keep them coming!
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Let's put in simple conceptual math.

You raise a lot, they fold a lot. Every one or two of those "pays" for your next raise.

You continue to raise, they call some of the time. You cbet (and note that you can likely only cbet 45%-55% of the pot: they're playing fit-or-fold!) the flop, they fold a lot. Every one or two of those "pays" for your next cbet. Thus, when they have a hand, your lost cbet is essentially paid for.

Finally, you continue to raise, they call. You cbet, they stay in the hand. This time, though, YOU have a huge hand -- and you get paid off big time.

After that happens, they get frustrated by your play and start opening up their pre-flop range -- calling more hands than they should. Now, they're playing worse cards for more money.

As @SplitSuit noted -- a little boring, but potentially highly lucrative.
  • JackSixJackSix Red Chipper Posts: 3
    Awesome perspective. Thanks Moishe. I think the boredom factor may have gotten to me as well, even though I refused to give up. Like your advice. Thanks
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,975 -
    JackSix wrote: »
    Thanks Splitsuit. Love the Podcasts. Keep them coming!

You're very welcome and will do =)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file