Leveraging Advanced Poker Training

BackFatBackFat Red Chipper Posts: 29 ✭✭
edited January 2017 in New To Poker Questions
Does anyone have any thoughts about good practices in leveraging Advanced Poker Training for complete NOOBS like myself? Since I can only get out a couple of nights a week it seems like a good way to get some hands in between my studies and live play.

I saw it addressed a little in a $1/$2 review session video in the $1/$2 crash coarse and the idea of just setting up the specific hands and the settings specific to the particular Swiss Alps was pretty much identical to what I do, but does anyone else have any other advice. I realize this is far from an ideal way to train, but unfortunately I gots kids and a day job. But since I live in my home office, I can use an app like this pretty often during the week.

Comments

• bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭
    I subscribe to this program, and really like it. Definitely a good way to play a bunch of hands quickly. One thing that I do to get in the most hands is to set the hands to deal option to Playable Hands. That way, I don't have to fold very much and can really get in there and play. The one thing to keep in mind with this is that if you aren't comfortable with some basic starting hands, then using this option may not be great.

This is a great tool to just try different moves. One thing I like to do is to play every single hand (not using the deal only playable hands), just to get myself into some tough situations.

Also, I think the IQ scoring is pretty cool. It has a few flaws, but overall pretty cool. I emailed them to notify them of the errors I spotted and they're working to update them. But, you'll still get a good idea of whether your actions are decent or not. I really like the premise of the score which uses Skylansky's Therom of Poker as a base.

Just play a bunch of hands, use the advice feature, use the session reports to see where you're making mistakes, and really put some thought into those mistakes to figure how you could have done better. Even studying a single hand for 10 minutes can have a great impact on your overall game.
  • BackFatBackFat Red Chipper Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Cool, thank you for the response. My IQ has generally hovered around 100, which is not stellar. Has your's improved over time? I know it is a far from perfect indicator, but seems like improvement should count for something.
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I subscribed to it for a while - but eventually quit because it didn't help me at all.

I don't know if they've updated the software - but winning is quite easy:
    simply call anything/everything in position.
    call bets (except on the river) with anything -
    and whenever it gets checked back to you, overbet the pot.
    ALL players will fold because no AI player slow plays.

What further annoyed me was how I could make it to the final two in the biggest tourney they ran - and even though I got sucked out on by the other player - and came in second... my point score got uber dinged.

Supposedly the Main Event winner (with Raccoon cap) trained on APT... and you can see that a bit in his game (like when he shoves on Bax with 44)... maybe if I played in real life the uber aggressive way I did on APT, I might have a better report.

Either way... I think if you subscibe using RCP's link or code or something... you'll get a discount. So, you should investigate that if you're still interested.

In an old link... it might even have been the "Robot... & JCW" one... there was discussion about how Bill Gates should start at the 50¢/$1 home games even if he had the bankroll to start at $100/$200 games... but I was trying to convince @Imperator that low limit games play a different brand of poker that would give someone starting out some bad habits/reads. (I don't remember if he ever acquiesced.)

My gut tells me playing APT for "free money" might do the same.

the alternative?
    I'd say you're probably better off getting SplitSuit's workbook (not the 6-max if you don't plan on playing online) and use the dedicated forums here to become a "paper champion." IMO, getting the fundamentals on things like range vs. range will help you build a much more solid foundation than playing a computer simulation poker game. Sure the other one's more fun. But I can guarantee after completing the workbook, you'll be tons more profitable at the tables on day one.

GL.

EDIT: or Poker Snowie might be a better "educational" tool that helps you play and then review where you made mistakes.
    BackFat wrote: »
    Cool, thank you for the response. My IQ has generally hovered around 100, which is not stellar. Has your's improved over time? I know it is a far from perfect indicator, but seems like improvement should count for something.

This was a suggestion I made to the site..to be able to trend the IQ score. My score has increased as far as I know. I think I started at around 105 and now it's up to like 110 or so.

I do agree with @kagey on the strategy to win: over bets are rarely called, and playing in position makes things easier. BUT, I would say this is a strategy that will work at a lot of 1/2 and 2/5 games.

Another way I use this site is to practice my hand reading skills. So, I'll start a session on APT, and open up Flopzilla as well. On the session, I'll check the option to show my opponent's cards at the end of the hand--that way, I can see if their actual hand is in the range of hands I've come up with should they fold.

During these sessions, I usually set the hands to deal option to "Playable Hands" only. However, I also will play with the random hands setting as well. My goal during this session is just to try to read hands--and make plays based on my assessment of my opponent's range(s). I don't really care if I have a winning session or not. Anyway, I'll usually play 50 hands at a time--that way I get the session report at the end (50 hands is the min number of hands to generate the report). Playing 50 hands in this manner can take some time, but it's excellent practice!
  • CarrieCarrie Red Chipper Posts: 71 ✭✭

I asked the website about the IQ rating after doing a session following exactly the advice of the coach and getting an abysmal score. They told me not to rely on the IQ score but rather to just follow the weekly training plan. I've never been sure what to make of it. I also find it difficult to ascertain the why of certain IQ scores.

What I've been using the site for recently is to put myself in uncomfortable situations. For instance, I'll choose playable hands from the SB and just crank through a number of them, making hard decisions on whether to raise or flat call, then what to do post flop. I'm a friggin genius (LOL) preflop but am frequently a drooling fool post flop. I figure maybe I can try to build some muscle memory for when I play for real. So, I think if you can target where you have issues/leaks in your game, and then have those hands dealt to you, it can be a valuable arrow in your training quiver.

Another thing that I've been using it for is, like another poster, hand reading. While in a game, I'm generally wrapped up in the excitement too much to focus on the all important hand reading. So, I try to do it with APT. I agree that pulling out Flopzilla in tandem helps.

Good luck with it! Sometimes they offer good deals so look out for it. I was able to get a deeply discounted life membership.
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,710 -
    The goal of the site is not to learn to beat APT.

The site does a decent job of emulating bad players if you play a normalish game. I use the site when I want to see a student in action and we want to see a bunch of random situations. We can stop and discuss for a while, then go back and play more. Hard to do that live or in an on-line cash game.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
    Another fun thing to do is find a table where @Doug Hull is in the lineup....and check raise him at every chance!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file