Flopped Set VS Villain's Flopped Flush. Should I have gotten away?

hellsdesirehellsdesire Red Chipper Posts: 22
So most people would call this a cooler, but I am not entirely convinced and would like a second opinion on whether I should have gotten away from this hand. More under the 'thought process' section.

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed)

saw flop | saw showdown

SB ($15.47)
BB ($13.51) (25/20 over 59 hands with AF of 3)
UTG ($32.16) (Aggro Fish, 37/30 over 200 hands with AF of 7)
Hero (MP) ($10.57)
CO ($4.88)
Button ($4.10)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 10heart.gif, 10diamond.gif
UTG raises $0.28, Hero calls $0.28, CO calls $0.28, 2 folds, BB calls $0.18

Flop: ($1.17) 10spade.gif, Kspade.gif, 5spade.gif (4 players)
BB checks, UTG bets $0.87, Hero raises $2.32, 1 fold, BB calls $2.32, UTG calls $1.45

Turn: ($8.13) 4heart.gif (3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $7.97 (All-In), BB raises $10.91 (All-In), 1 fold

River: ($24.07) 2club.gif (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $24.07
Main pot: $24.07 between BB and Hero, won by BB

Results below:
BB had 3spade.gif, Qspade.gif (flush, King high).
Hero had 10heart.gif, 10diamond.gif (three of a kind, tens).
Outcome: BB won $22.87

Thought Process: Alright so the aggro fish villain opens to $0.28 from UTG and holding pocket 10s I opted to call. I seriously considered 3betting him since he is opening pretty wide. But I figured that there are still many players behind to act, and if I get 4bet (though this fish villain hasn't 4bet before) by him it would put my hand in a slightly precarious position.

Anyway, the CO and SB calls. The flop comes 10spade.gif, Kspade.gif, 5spade.gif and I have a set. Which is often times great! I'm pretty much beating everything except a set of kings and any flopped flush. Plus the fish will likely call down if he has the nut flush draw or TP.

Aggro fish villain bets out on the flop for $0.87. I think there is no real merit to slowplaying here since any spade on the turn would put my hand very behind so I opted to reraise here to $2.32. CO folds, SB and Aggro Fish calls. Side note, SB has only value bet his hands so far and hasn't bluffed anyone in the 60 hands I played with him. I thought he was on a draw or has 2pair of some sort.

So the river comes a blank 4h. Aggro fish checks, and here I'm thinking with the pot being so big, I should just shove here, which I did. I still have equity even if I get called by a flush. So SB calls and the aggro fish folds. SB turns over queen high flush and the river blanks so he wins the pot.

Question 1 - I was of the opinion that these 2 players were drawing so I was quite aggressive on the flop and the turn. Should I have played this more passively instead since it is a multiway pot? Because if I did, then that means it gives drawing hands good prices to call. I'm on the fence about which line I should take in these kinds of situation. Plus there was a fish so all I thought about was $$$$ fat value bets.

Question 2 - Should I have adjusted my play because I have yet to see SB bluff? Him cold calling a reraise on the flop must mean he has a hand.

Question 3 - Or was this just a cooler and all the money was meant to go in anyway?

Side note, if it was just me and the fish alone in the pot I will let him keep firing out since that's what he loves to do. Any input is appreciated.

Comments

• PondyPondy Red Chipper Posts: 145 ✭✭
    Most players would get stacked in this situation and everybody would lose a lot, but the question is if it is not possible to lose a bit less.

Preflop I would just 3bet. Then, the BB doesn't even get there with his hand. And if the fish is so aggro, he might even come over the top. If you call there with TT and you don't hit a set, you will play the guessing game too often. You will go into bluff catching mode, which can be difficult if the flop comes AJ5 or so.

As played, I like the reraise on the flop as protection. But once the BB calls there, his range is a made flush, a naked As or if you are really lucky an overplayed K or 55.

On the turn, I would check behind. You will not get called by a K. Even 55 might find a fold when you shove. The naked As might make a mistake and call your shove, but that's about it. And don't forget, the As has okay equity as it has picked up a gutshot on the turn. Also: We cannot exclude that the fish has something better than you (unlikely but not impossible). I would try to get to showdown cheaply rather than bomb the turn. If BB has a K or 55, he will not bet the river and then you can try to get a bit of value. If he bombs the river, you can insta-fold.
  • hellsdesirehellsdesire Red Chipper Posts: 22
    I agree with a lot of what you said. Looking back, I suppose I was afraid of having to fold TT preflop if I get reraised, but being 6max it is unlikely someone has a better hand behind and I should just isolate the fish here. If I do get cold 4bet by another player I can most likely safely fold it. Fish will most likely call me or reraise, but either way I'm going heads up with him and postflop I will have the edge.
    Pondy wrote: »
    On the turn, I would check behind. You will not get called by a K. Even 55 might find a fold when you shove. The naked As might make a mistake and call your shove, but that's about it. And don't forget, the As has okay equity as it has picked up a gutshot on the turn. Also: We cannot exclude that the fish has something better than you (unlikely but not impossible). I would try to get to showdown cheaply rather than bomb the turn. If BB has a K or 55, he will not bet the river and then you can try to get a bit of value. If he bombs the river, you can insta-fold.

Alarm bells should have been going off here once both the fish and SB called my raise. True, if I get called here when I shove it probably means I'm beat, so shoving doesn't really accomplish anything good except making them fold hands that I beat. Checking is the better play here for sure. Thank you for the insight, it has been very helpful, and I think this was not really a cooler and I could have reduced my losses significantly through better decision making.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file