Hand from RPC meet-up (bluff catching)

jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
So I thought this was maybe not the most interesting hand in the world, but brought up some debate between me and @Travis on the table after the hand about how to play bluff catching.

Hero in MP with :Kd:Ks opens to $14. Hero (260~) has been opening a ton of hands, some trash but catching a ton of premium hands. 1 caller BU (V, Tag ~$180). In an earlier hand, he C-bet I floated and took it from him on a later street. Has been straddling every hand, decently aggressive.

Pot $30

Flop :Tc:8c:6h . Hero leads for $20, V re-raises to $45. At this point I have the decision to make of either he flopped a great hand, or a big draw. I think based on earlier play he would definitely check-raise me with hands such as a pair and an draw ect or maybe he thought I was just standard C-betting and being too aggressive. I call.

Pot $120

Turn is :4h or a brick (I can't exaclty remember but I know it didn't really help the straight or the flush draw. I check and he bets $50. At this point he has about $75 behind. This is where me and @Travis disagreed. I put him all-in, thinking that yes any pure air bluffs are folding, but I didn't think he would check-raise and C-bet me on the turn with complete garbage. If I just call the turn bet and he does have equity such as a flush draw or a pair and a straight draw, maybe he gives up the pair and straight draw hands but I think he is priced into the flush draw hands, and maybe even calls with his pair and straight draw hands with the "oh boy I'm priced in I gotta go with it now." Is it better to just check call, and then check the river to see if he fires again, or to put him all in here, obvious be snapped off by his 2 pairs, sets, and straight but also on the river I'm in a tough spot because I'll want to call, BUT I have to dodge the 9 cards, to the flush, as well as any 7, 9, or J which he can safety barrel against me on and I'd be reluctant to call. Travis's made a great point that your average $1/2 player will always check behind on that turn with good draws and hope to actualize, and I think he's right I probably should have gotten away from this hand, one of the problems of switching between $2-5 and $1-2 is that $2-5 players are always firing here.

Comments

• TravisTravis Red Chipper Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    jfarrow13 wrote: »

I think based on earlier play he would definitely check-raise me with hands such as a pair and an draw ect or maybe he thought I was just standard C-betting and being too aggressive. I call.

I didn't think he would check-raise and C-bet me on the turn with complete garbage. If I just call the turn bet and he does have equity such as a flush draw or a pair and a straight draw, maybe he gives up the pair and straight draw hands but I think he is priced into the flush draw hands, and maybe even calls with his pair and straight draw hands with the "oh boy I'm priced in I gotta go with it now." .

This is where we differed.. I didnt think the villian would check raise you with a pair and a draw. Even you at the table said you first instinct was two pair, set, or straight (all of which you were behind). Also I didnt think he would fire again if all he had was on a draw once you called his check raise. He was smart enough to know that you had a hand and that a draw doesnt have enough equity on that turn to bet out. Villian was a little active but much tight than loose. He hadnt shown any propensity to just gamble on hitting his draw. Which his bet on the turn was leveraging his whole stack ,,,he was clearly ready to go all in and confident about it
  • jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Like we discussed at the tables ahhh the pitfalls of reading books that don't apply to your games.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file