Do I make the call on this fishy player?

krocktaschelkrocktaschel Red Chipper Posts: 11
Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.25 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

I've been at this table for about 25 hands. Though I don't have a solid number of hands for the SB his play so far has been quite fishy. Lots of passive calling in all positions.

SB: $53.08 (VPIP: 68.18, PFR: 9.09, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 25)
BB: $47.82 (VPIP: 20.43, PFR: 16.13, 3Bet Preflop: 4.29, Hands: 189)
Hero (CO): $36.42
BTN: $25.00 (VPIP: 17.58, PFR: 12.73, 3Bet Preflop: 4.48, Hands: 170)

SB posts SB $0.10, BB posts BB $0.25

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.35) Hero has Q:diamond: K:spade:

Hero raises to $0.65, fold, SB calls $0.55, fold

This is my standard raise here in the CO.

Flop: ($1.55, 2 players) 4:club: 3:heart: 7:diamond:
SB bets $0.74, Hero raises to $2.00, SB calls $1.26

SB's range is pretty wide here, I'm not too afraid of monster hands, perhaps he is calling on a draw or with overcards or medium pocket pairs. I would have expected a re-raise pre-flop if he was holding QQ-AA.

Turn: ($5.55, 2 players) Q:spade:
SB bets $2.64, Hero calls $2.64

Nice turn for me, I don't get the sense that I should be worried about SB's hand at this point. However, perhaps I didn't bet enough here to make him go away? Ax is certainly within his range of hands here.

River: ($10.83, 2 players) A:heart:
SB bets $5.14, fold

Ugh, the dreaded A on the river. Can/should I make this call or fold and live to get his fishy chips later?

SB wins $10.29

$0.18 was deducted from the pot for the jackpot.

Comments

• Paul_KPaul_K DFWRed Chipper Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    I'll give this a shot...

If your read on this player is "passive caller", then what are we to think when he suddenly becomes an aggressor?

If we give him a generous pre flop calling range of 65%, and take away the premium hands, then you have 43% equity on this flop. (I hope the math wizards here will correct me if I'm wrong). You have no draw potential at all, so I don't like a flop raise when you whiff here and your villain appears to like his hand.

His wide range and his donk lead are the things that make this flop so dangerous. If you're gonna play the hand, use your position to pot control here. He looks to be a half-pot type of guy. By just calling flop on down, you're looking at a $6 river pot rather than an $11 pot and thereby giving yourself a much easier river call with what is a decent show down hand.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file