Barreling question- betting with a polarized range

GregGreg Red Chipper Posts: 32 ✭✭
In Brokos barreling videos Andrew said betting polarized is limited by available bluffs.
I am struggling to understand this. If I have too much air in my range I'm guessing that he isn't suggesting that my betting range is unlimited.

If I have top end range advantage without overall range advantage, position with a static flop I know this is a great time to bet a polarized range.

I might have 21 nutted hands and 116 air hands.
If I decide to bet polarized how is my range limited by available bluffs?

Does that have to do with my opponents likelihood to fold to a large bet and if so what do I do with value hands that would rarely get paid off?

These are new concepts to me that I love studying and understanding better so any input is welcome! Thanks!

Comments

• The MuleThe Mule Red Chipper Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    This is a question I have as well.

This was my thinking:
    There is a relationship between bet size, opponent's calling frequency and value:bluff ratio.

If you bet B into a pot of P, your opponent is getting B+P:B.
    This is the equilibrium value:bluff ratio.
    Your opponent can fold at most B/(P+2B) to make you indifferent to folding or bluffing your air.

The value:bluff ratio can never be greater than 1:1 (since P>=0). Therefore you can't bluff with more hands than you are betting for value. This sets an upper bound on your bluffing frequency. This limit occurs as P/B -> 0 (i.e. when the pot is insignificant relative to the bet size). So when you have more air than nuts the optimal strategy is to go all in, and bluff as many hands as the above formula allows.

When you have less available bluffs than nut hands, seems to me that your bet size needs to be adjusted to reflect the value:bluff ratio you have. So if you have 20 nut hands and 10 air hands, you optimise by making a pot sized bet and bluffing with all your air. If you bet larger then your opponent is incentivised to fold all their bluff catchers. If you bet smaller you get less value from your nut hands.

• GregGreg Red Chipper Posts: 32 ✭✭
    colldav,

Thanks for your response!
    I think I'm starting to get it but I might need it dumbed down a little.

If you are going to bet polarized with with 21 nut hands and 116 air hands do you bet all of your air and if not how many combos of no showdown value air do you decide to bet?

I know from personal experience if I bet large all of my available bluffs consistently i'm giving money away since I play a LAG style.

Best,
    Greg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file