How to play against someone you can't get a read on?

Stephen YStephen Y Red Chipper Posts: 6
$1/$3 NLHE at local card room.

All players involved in hand with around $300 to start.

Villain is UTG. Loose preflop (like 95% vpip, no I'm not exaggerating). Usually passive. Can get super aggressive postflop with nothing. Willing to call down every street even all-in with bottom pair.

UTG limps. Two more limpers.

I have AKo in the BB. I make it $25 to go because I'm expecting the UTG to call while everyone else folds.

UTG calls. UTG+1 calls . The other limper folds.

Flop comes A33.

I bet $45. UTG calls. UTG+1 folds.

Turn is a J.

I check. UTG bets $55. I call.

River is a 2.

I check. UTG bets$80. I make a crying call after tanking for about a minute.

Villain turns over 63o for the trips.

I seriously have no read on this player. Villain could be bluffing as he has shown down big bluffs. Villain could take this line with pocket 55. I eventually put Villain on a weak Ace. What is the appropriate play in this situation against this type of player?

I understand Villain is a loser in the long-term. I've sat at the same table as Villain on a couple occasions before. Villain usually builds up a huge stack and then slowly gives it away (to everyone else but me, it seems!). But how should I approach a similar situation in the future?

Comments

• RCP Coach - Fausto ValdezRCP Coach - Fausto Valdez RCP Coach Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Ure turn check indicates u was trying to play it safe, i know it scary that he could have anything here, however as u mentioned he could have 55 and a weak Ax which are both reasonable given his type

I would be extatic holding AK on this texture and would be barreling all the way. I would recommend understanding his "perceived" range that continues and what his actual range should be

If he just happened to be in the top of his range then w/e he wont be there that often, just dont enter with to much junk ureself or u will be in the same predicament
    COACHING NOW AVAILABLE HERE
    MY COACHING REVIEWS HERE
  • volcanovolcano Red Chipper Posts: 346 ✭✭
    Ive been playing a bit, just use intuition as to what the reg player pool does? Any hint of info is better than nothing.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you got a little lucky that he was betting this himself (or unlucky, depending on how you look at it.) You don't really need to get a "read" on him, since you basically know how he plays. You're playing against ranges long term, not trying to figure out what he has "this hand". You want to play his little game with him all night long - win some, lose some, but win more money than you're losing long run.

Given the way the hand turned out in hindsight, I'm happy to have him bet twice at me and call here.
  • bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭
    I would have barreled all 3 streets with AK as well--basically, looking to get stacks in against this player. It doesn't sound like he's going to find many folds with his range. You definitely got unlucky to run into the top of his range, but just think of all of the other hands that he would call all 3 streets with--AK is crushing a ton of them. Also, AK is at the top of your range on this board too, so I don't see any reason to check on any of these streets. Let's be on pace to stack this clown!
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    well you have at least 2 "reads" - plays 95% of hands and plays passive. So I would just plan to bet/fold 3 streets and this would be my line even if it was first hand at the table as you always have "player pool reads"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file