WSOP Circuit - Skill level?

NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭
So it looks like I may have my first opportunity to play in a WSOP Circuit event in a couple of months. I was wondering what overall skill level should I reasonably expect in the $365 buy in as I figured that some of you have probably played in them before. I've got an insane ROI in live tourneys so far but it's a very small sample and in live tourneys (like $80 buyins) the players have been very soft. Should I expect the skill level in this lower buyin WSOP event to be similar to the typical low buyin tournament at the local card room?

Comments

• kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you'll find all skill levels at the tourney.
    rec players who love to bluff. OMC who love to slow-play.
    semi-pros who love to 3-bet. pros who've got push/fold charts memorized down to the position and bbs... and everything in between.

these tourneys are often difficult because by the time you've figured out who's who - you don't have enough chips to do anything about it... unless you get lucky.

you'll see/find a core group of tourney players in these events... you'll know who they are by the groups of guys gathering around each other, trading stories on breaks.
    these guys are the most knowledgeable about tourney strategy. watch out for them. while they suck at cash games, they typically do well in tournies.
  • MonadMonad Red Chipper Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭✭
    Should be a fun test of skill & luck. Definitely take the shot if you're able and I wish you well.
  • CarrieCarrie Red Chipper Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Thanks @kagey and good luck @Ninjah . I am thinking of dipping my toes into the water in a couple months as well at the Horseshoe Baltimore event. Hoping they have more than NLHE and PLO too.
  • weee3eeeweee3eee Red Chipper Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Ninjah, most of all have fun in the circuit. Be patient. I would assume it's a 365 with re-entries enable. The pros come expecting to stack up early or just fire other bullets. So expect some wide 3bets.

For example, I had AA in the big blind, this was second level and there were 3 limpers, I raise my BB the UTG+1 reraises to 1500 and I 4 bet to 4000 and he jams. He had QQ I had AA, should I fold and wait? Well, i played these AA like a freakin donk at the time. I call. He rivered a Q and my one little bullet was done (at second level).

Don't play like a maniac like that. Not worth the heartache to be busted that way.
  • JulesJules Red Chipper Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    I play these type of buy ins all the time. Not circuit but $360 buy ins.

They are a lot tougher then they used to be. Bigger fields as well. As everyone has mentioned big mix of players. Pros will fire multiple bullets. They look at these tournaments the same as a $100 bi. Drop in the bucket. Still considered donkaments in their eyes.

Beginning levels play like a deep stack cash games. Usually pretty gambley. Many of these players are just taking a shot and don't know how to adjust once chipped up. They have deep pockets and are looking to chip up hard early...so a lot of gambling. Once re entry is over play settles down.

@kagey and @Lauren are spot on in regards to skill level and types of players etc. @weee3eee advice to have fun is the best ever. :)

You are a smart player @Ninjah I believe you will crush! If I can run deep in these (which I haven't in awhile! Seem to find that bust out hand end of day 1 right before bagging. Lol) You will def do well! Wish you the best of luck!! Can't wait to see your ring pic! :)
  • Poker-SoldierPoker-Soldier Red Chipper Posts: 4
    I recently played in a side event at Harrah's a month ago when the circuit came by AC. Bubbles the final table. In the beginning I saw a lot of weak and weird plays but the when if got to 3 tables, the players got way better. I'm sure you'll notice a similar pattern.
    I don't gamble, I play poker
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭
    at the level I would expect lots of weak and bad play

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file