did I make a good call?

MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 143 ✭✭
Third level of a rebuy $50 tournament. Starting stack 6K rebuys unlimited through third level and break, 20 minute levels. I was down to 3750 blinds 100-200 , 92 runners 7.5 minutes left in third level, After break blinds are 200-400. I am HJ +1, there is a raise in front of me to 400, I call with J-T suited (I have decided to double or rebuy hence the loose call) button goes ALL IN for 800, small blind goes ALL IN for 4K and the original raiser calls for less, so with three all in in front of me and no action behind I think for about a minute and call. My thoughts were A- If I will I will more then triple up, B- Getting huge pot odds, and C- I have all ready decided to rebuy if I bust. Button has 8-8, SB Q-Q, OR 8-6 suited, I caught major grief for my call. Looking back I would make the call again. So am I right or are the haters right?

Comments

• ZENIZENZENIZEN Red Chipper Posts: 166 ✭✭
    Just under 10 bigs I get it .....However you lost the power of the all in right ....0 fold equity .....When you consider shoving you are better served to RFI Raised first in .....to preserve fold equity that is the power of the short stack even though ICM somewhat supports the call .
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭
    with 18bb this is a clear fold preflop

just because blinds are going up and you will have 9bb after the break doesn't mean you should take -EV "gambles"

• BotswanaNickBotswanaNick Red Chipper Posts: 696 ✭✭✭
    Agreed, biggest mistake in this hand was the original call. In some circumstances, you could consider shoving over the open, but that would require a good amount of FE to be profitable. In a small stakes rebuy, I would not guess you have nearly enough (the subsequent action seems to confirm that assumption). Once you make the first call and face all the shoves/reshoves, you just need to plug ranges into an equity calculator and see where you come out, especially if you are willing to rebuy if busted. My intuition is that it is still a fold.
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Just ran it, 15.6% win rate. Very loose but also intent on rebuy if busted
  • JulesJules Red Chipper Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    With 18bbs and JTs you are all in or fold. You are not deep enough to play poker with this hand by calling. What are you hoping for flopped flush, straight, 2 pair? Would be a miracle. You shouldn't be calling raises with 18bigs... all in or fold. :)
  • Steve FSteve F Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
    I agree with the consensus that it shouldn't be a call initially for the 400, but your question was really about the call of the all-in. As much as you don't want to give away 400 chips, you have to consider what is the right value play. If you fold you still have 3,350 left which, obviously isn't great, but 8 big blinds (after the break) still has some equity in the tournament. And if you go broke and re-buy, you are still only getting 15 big blinds. I would err on the side of seeing if I can run my 3,350 up after the break (when there will be more steal opportunities because others will know they cannot re-buy). You JT is going to be in awful shape against any 3 hands that are willing to put a decent amount of chips in the middle here. While Yahtzee could happen, you are going to be in really rough shape (which you were). While I don't like the initial call of the 400, I think you can still get away from it here and try to run up the 3,350.
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 143 ✭✭
    I agree that a shove would have been better then a call on the $400 and I made a mistake there. I still also believe that a rebuy is better then a really short stack for after the break and close of the rebuy period. Not to be results based, but just for info I did end up running a straight to win the hand and wound up taking 3rd for the day. Winning the hand was lucky and does not make the play right or wrong but is just the result of that one specific hand

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file