Cate Hall Mike Dentale HU match on twitch 3:30 Pm March 19th

tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
Might be an entertaining match. PokerNightTV Twitch. More entertaining than a Trump/Clinton debate.

Comments

• tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    For anyone who watched. I was disappointed with the commentating. Both commentators talked over the slightly miked table talk which is why I assume most people tuned in. Both commentators are excellent players but way to much ego to cover that match
  • Mr. DontMr. Dont Red Chipper Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I forgot to watch, but for commentators wise, Ive never like theirs. Theyre absolutely worlds best, but not for commentators.
  • BotswanaNickBotswanaNick Red Chipper Posts: 696 ✭✭✭
    I agree that both their personalities can be pretty off-putting. As for substance, I found the commentary to wax and wane, sometimes being pretty horrible but sometimes very interesting and beneficial to me as a player. I would say that them talking over the table talk was really not a problem (at least for me) because there was almost no interesting banter back and forth.

As far as the actual match was concerned, I was absolutely shocked at how bad Mike was. How is he a profitable player? I think watching the stream would be helpful to people trying to learn how to spot and exploit the absolute worst tendencies that bad live players have. He did it all: super obvious live tells, bet sizing tells, timing tells, all on top of his horrendous baseline strategy. It was hard to watch honestly, his only defense was to tell her how bad she was and how lucky she was getting (I am first to admit that she was getting smacked by the deck). And they say poker is dead!
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is a tournament reg, not a cash game player. This was not a good spot for him.
  • BotswanaNickBotswanaNick Red Chipper Posts: 696 ✭✭✭
    lol donkaments
  • JulesJules Red Chipper Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    I watched some of the match and had other things to do so didn't get to see much of it.

I have mixed feelings about this match. I don't follow either player on twitter, but because of others I follow some of their tweets show up in my timeline. Don't care for the hot headed banter much. There was a ton of it pre and post match. To each his own I suppose. Some people need to prove themselves right.

Honestly as a non pro I have always found poker to be great form of competition and a pleasant challenge. Lately I have found certain pro's comments on twitter & as commentators make the game a lot less appealing. I know this is probably a small %, but they have big mouths. People I used to look up to in the poker world have turned out to be really horrible & narcissistic people. I don't understand how this helps the growth of the game. I guess they prefer to play each other?

I'm not too fond of Deeb. I know a lot of people like him, but there were a few comments he made to an amateur player during the televised WSOP main event that left me a wee bit uncomfortable. Why would you criticize an amateur on TV?

• kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jules wrote: »
    I'm not too fond of Deeb. I know a lot of people like him, but there were a few comments he made to an amateur player during the televised WSOP main event that left me a wee bit uncomfortable. Why would you criticize an amateur on TV?

I haven't seen what you're talking about... but I find Deeb to be a very knowledgable and passionate player about poker. His comments are typically on point... and about him criticizing an amateur during the WSOP main event... you gotta realize that the WSOP Main Event is, well the MAIN EVENT!

If you're going to come and mix it up with the pros --- like, say, in the tennis or golf US OPEN --- well, you better bring your A game... no? I mean, should we really be easy on folks who come to play with the best of the best for a shot at the title?

Again, haven't seen or heard the comments you're talking about - but if you're playing Poker's equivalent of the US Open... I would think you should be fair game.
  • Wiki_LeaksWiki_Leaks Red Chipper Posts: 564 ✭✭✭
    kagey in a vacuum youre right. But, in the bigger picture, its bad for the game. As one of the big faces of poker its your responsibility to be welcoming and accommodating. DN has talked about this on a few different occasions in a general sense. If the biggest and most public names in poker are painting the atmosphere as a mean and unwelcoming, it doesnt help bring new people into the game. There is a difference between "going easy on them," which would be soft playing them, and not being a jerk. If anything, he should be congratulating them for having the guts to take the shot in the first place.

I dont know which comment jules is referring to, nor do I have an opinion about deeb either way.
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wiki_Leaks wrote: »
    But, in the bigger picture, its bad for the game. As one of the big faces of poker its your responsibility to be welcoming and accommodating. DN has talked about this on a few different occasions in a general sense. If the biggest and most public names in poker are painting the atmosphere as a mean and unwelcoming, it doesnt help bring new people into the game. .....

I dont know which comment jules is referring to, nor do I have an opinion about deeb either way.

yeah - don't know what Jules is referring to either
    but I can tell you that Hellmuth has berated/uttered more stupidity to amateur players than any other player I've ever heard and yet folks buy his books and line up to take photos with him.

I'm always perplexed at those that say "it doesn't help bring new people to the game..." .... it's not as if young men and woman are going thru "what color is your parachute" and they see that poker requires math, problem solving & people skills... and then think.... "nah, that Shawn Deep was a dick in the so-and-so interview... so I'm not going into poker but will choose HR instead!"

people come to the game for the same reasons some go to football, others basketball, others hockey, others bridge.... etc. etc. (the same hold true for whether or not women will become poker players.... holding ladies events doesn't make it more inviting or likely to change their career path... imo)

Sure, it helps to have the face of poker be friendly... but geez... we're playing a game of chance & skill for large amounts of money! If you can't give a guy a break cuz he busted out of $10k tourney or lost a $100K pot... then, by all means, don't enter poker.

There are all kinds in the game... but in my book, Deeb embodies more positive traits than most public professionals.... and he's not in it to angle shoot, sell a book, a website or brand of liquor or hamburger... that dude is the real deal who's friendly and inviting more times than not. How many "pros" who aren't under contract can you say that about?
    @kagey tried to find a video clip, but nothing came up. He's very knowledgeable in re to the game. Absolutely. When he bought his Grandma into the ME that one year I was like awwwwe what a sweet guy. But there's a difference between being calculating and using your verbal edge over someone vs being nasty. No one should berate another player's play at the table. I was actually very surprised by his comments and no one said a word about it. There were several instances at the feature table he made stupid comments. The one against the amateur really stuck with me.

Don't expect anyone to be easy on anyone. I agree with you that if you are going to play the Main bring your A game and have thick skin. So I totally agree with you in that regard. I'm referring to pros being total jerks because they are well pros. This is on and off the table. Social media etc. I'm sharing my perspective as an amateur that loves the game. Trying to get better at it. Have hopes of playing the Main one day. Poker is hard. And that's what I love about it. Mentally tough too. I welcome this challenge. I'm just saying it has been very disappointing to have a certain image of players you look up to & ends up they are real jerks! Puts a bad taste in your mouth. And this negative attitude does reflect on how the game is viewed.

My original criticism was that a lot of people, myself included, tuned in to see the much anticipated grudge match between two players that called each other out in the public forum. I did not expect to see perfect poker rather an entertaining game with lots of trash talk. Both hosts dismissed the play as bad and spent the time talking over the table talk even when asked by the chat to stop. I their minds, what "they" had to say was more important even if it was not about the hand or the match or even about poker. They both are talented players but truth I did not tune in to hear them pontificate and I guess neither did the several thousand viewers.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disappointing, I thought it would be a good opportunity to see the two of them commentate. I think the have a lot of good ideas to share but the job way to commentate the match. Much ego agreed.
    kagey wrote: »
    There are all kinds in the game... but in my book, Deeb embodies more positive traits than most public professionals.... and he's not in it to angle shoot, sell a book, a website or brand of liquor or hamburger... that dude is the real deal who's friendly and inviting more times than not. How many "pros" who aren't under contract can you say that about?

I used to think that @kagey. There have also been instances on twitter that portray him completely differently. His tweets. I don't follow him but it ends up in my timeline.

Look I'm not trying to argue. You have made valid points. And I think me being a lot newer to poker makes a difference in regards to my views. Just so happened Deeb was involved in the grudge match and so he was used as an example. I've lost respect for him by the behavior I've witnessed. For the record I'm not a big Hellmuth fan either. You are so right about him.

@tfazio I know where you were going with the OP. Sorry I got a little off topic. :) I think the whole ego thing that started the match led into my thoughts about pros not acting as pros.
  • Adam WheelerAdam Wheeler Red Chipper Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Did Phil Hellmuth wrote books ?
  • uglytunauglytuna Red Chipper Posts: 115 ✭✭

Mike Dentale TELLS ALL - Grudge Match Post-Mortem from Doug Polk YouTube Channel
  • MonadMonad Red Chipper Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    This was a relatively uninteresting match up from the beginning. Neither has much appeal/charisma. Dentale is an unlikable weak/bad rec-bro-dude & Hall (IMO) is a ROTM, better-than-average pro who has been on the sunny side of live tournament variance for the last couple years. She's novel because she's a female I guess. Not sure what the appeal was/is. Give me something high level like Kyle Bowker vs. S. Deeb, etc.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file