AkKs Solid Tag

bleedTiltbleedTilt Red Chipper Posts: 86 ✭✭
Been in this spot way to often lately and I'm starting to have crazy thoughts of putting AK into a 4bet/fold range. Pretty lost.

Villain is a solid tag who doesn't get to far out of line. I have seen him bet/fold river on a QQxxx with Qx.

$2/$5NL - Stacks are $800 effective.

Hero in LP raises to $20 with AKo, villain makes it $70 out of BB. Hero Calls.

Flop: $140: 888. Villain bets $80. Hero calls.
Turn $300. Villain bets $225. Hero?

Seems odd for villain to continue to barrel with his bluffs on this board unless he thinks that my 3-bet/call range is extremely wide. Thoughts?

Comments

• bleedTiltbleedTilt Red Chipper Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Turn card is a 4 btw.
  • jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Your playing an expensive guessing game of "does he have pocket pairs or boardway cards?" What do you beat? Are you gonna try to steal it from him later? Do you expect to win at showdown?
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you seen him bet fold trips, AK becomes anexcellent candidate to 4 bet with blockers to aa kk. Picking up $70 (14bb). 4 bet to about $175 and be able to fold to a 5 bet with only 20% of your stack at risk is reasonable.
  • Jimmy3150Jimmy3150 Red Chipper Posts: 362 ✭✭
    Folding turn is ok if you're plan was to float flop and steal turn - he's shown a lot of strength so you can just believe the 2nd action. Why not go to war with this guy preflop in a blind vs button battle? If he's TAG as you say he probably doesn't want to play for stacks with his light 3-betting hands (a lot of weaker Kx and Ax). More power in this hand preflop than postflop IMO.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Bet sizes tells:
    - He bet 57% of the pot on the flop. He bet 75% of the pot on the turn.
    - If you call the turn bet, the pot will be 750$. The left stack will be 425$.

These 2 hints show a strong hand and a will to play for stacks. Easy fold.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭
    bleedTilt wrote: »
    Villain is a solid tag who doesn't get to far out of line. I have seen him bet/fold river on a QQxxx with Qx.

One observation: just because V has shown an ability POST-flop to be taggish does not necessarily define his PRE-flop play. Sometimes, people are one way pre-flop and another post-flop. Unless you have reason to believe that he is a PRE-flop TAG, too, then I'd keep hammering away (i.e., raising and re-raising) with AK, as @Jimmy3150 explained.
  • YoshYosh Red Chipper Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    Happy that you didn't 4b since this spot is much more interesting. Fast forward to the river. What ways might it play out?
  • SturmwespeSturmwespe Red Chipper Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Simple rule: Have I seen a player 3 bet light Y/N. Unless I have some other read I assume that random unknown is a legacy 3 bettor, i.e. AA, KK, maybe QQ and maybe AK. Just sit back and watch for a while. If they are 3 betting lighter then that you'll see it soon enough and then you can adjust accordingly. Get to know your opponents. Also unless you've seen villain 2 barrel heavy with air before turn is easy fold. Smells like huge over pair trying to get stakes in by the river to me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file