Feeback requested, late stage tournament hand

Jay KJay K Red Chipper Posts: 17 ✭✭
Level 9 of a live bounty tournament. 30 minute levels. 800/1600 blinds, 200 antes. 22 players left. 15 spots paid. I am the small stack at our table.

I sit in BB with 11,000. Small blind is big stack at table with 45,000. Villain raises to 4,000 UTG with 25,000 behind. All fold to small blind who calls. Action to me. With pot now at 11,000, I call the additional 2,400 with JTo.

Flop comes AAT rainbow. SB checks. I pause for 3 seconds and shove the rest of my stack (8,600) all in. Villain tanks for 2 minutes before calling. SB folds. Villain shows KK and the turn and river are bricks.

Questions...

1. Would you have called the raise?

2. Would you have moved all in on the flop?

3. What others options would you recommend for playing this hand?

Thank you.

Best Answers

• Jay KJay K Red Chipper Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Thank you Ninjah. I appreciate your feedback!

I've been playing less than a year and am still learning quite a bit.

A follow up question, would this be a case then where stack size and tournament life considerations weigh much stronger than pots odds vs. the strength of my hand against Villain's pre-flop range? I realized I was dominated vs. an UTG range (I normally wouldn't play JTo in this situation) , but looking at 4.5:1 pot odds and needing to accumulate chips, I decided to take the risk.

Perhaps it would have been better to get through the blinds and wait to be first to move all-in with a stronger holding (if one showed up) before I was in the blinds again?
    "Live to fight another day", so to speak.

Again, thank you for your feedback!

Answers

Thank you for your feedback Steve F.

After further review and the perspective of others, I now agree this should have been a shove or fold pre flop.

I was shoving as a semi bluff. Once the flop hit and I paired the ten, I didn't think he had an ace and thought I could scar him off his hand with a quick shove.

The other considerations were the pot size, my stack size and being close to the bubble. Had I pulled this off, (and he folded) I would have doubled up and been in a much better position to be in the money. I realize it's hard to get someone to lay down KK but with 2 aces on board, it put him in a tough spot.

I'm still relatively new to the game. I've learned here that when you're third into a raised pot, it's better to fold JTo and wait for a better opportunity.

I appreciate you taking the time to offer your insight. It will help next time I face a similar situation.
    Thank you Tripletire. I appreciate your insight. Your second comment makes a lot of sense and it's something I hadn't thought of in the moment. If I had an Ace, I most likely would have jammed pre... I'll remember that next time whether I'm the jammer or the one being jammed upon. Thanks again!
    Thanks for your response Tuna! The bet sizing tip with KK is very helpful too... I hadn't thought of that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file