Is There Space For Another Poker Podcast?

Dean MDean M Red Chipper Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
I've started and abandoned several podcasts over the years as my hobbies and interests have changed but am getting the itch to begin one again.

Since I'm obsessed with poker at the moment that would be a logical choice for a topic but it seems there are more than enough poker podcasts to choose from.

Any thoughts from this group as to the ability of a new one to attract an audience and if so, what would be an interesting angle that maybe is not being met by the current poker podcasts?

Thanks!

Comments

• persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea and question. Players have mentioned to me that they want to hear the story of a grinder moving up and all his troubles, perhaps an emphasis on someone trying to make a living at it so that there is drama. Not instruction or discourse. That's vague, but there it is.
  • Dean MDean M Red Chipper Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »
    Great idea and question. Players have mentioned to me that they want to hear the story of a grinder moving up and all his troubles, perhaps an emphasis on someone trying to make a living at it so that there is drama. Not instruction or discourse. That's vague, but there it is.

Interesting... because that's the only original idea I had over the last week... Take my struggles over the last several months and tell the story of (hopefully) turning my game around and being profitable again. Kind of a diary of sorts, talk about sessions, interesting hands and continuous income numbers.

Maybe call it "My journey to $100k" It might take 3 years, but who knows, I could have an awesome year and do it in just 1.
    edited March 2017
    Lauren wrote: »
    Have you listened to Thinking Poker? That is the only one i know of that is kind of an example of what you're talking about..... (a podcast that is not for the purpose of monetizing a product...)

I'm a fan of that podcast and think they do an excellent job. That said, I don't want to do the same format as I don't have a co-host (yet) and I would basically be interviewing the same people they do (and Zac does on Red Chip). I like doing interviews and think I'm pretty good at it - but the other podcasts are already doing that and I think do a really good job.

Here's an example of one that I did back when I was heavily involved in A Cappella music - http://harmocast.com/maxx-imum-barbershop-impact-maxx-factor-show-17
  • Steve FSteve F Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
    I have one also and started it really for my own purposes as a way to learn the game & learn from others. I feel less pressure to get listeners because it truly is a hobby. My main thought here is that if your goal is to learn/share something your passionate about, then don't worry so much about listenership -- just enjoy it; ultimately your passion is what will attract people with a similar interest. If you are trying to make a podcast with topics you think people may want to hear, you may build a bigger initial audience but if you don't have a passion around it, eventually you may get bored or frustrated. If this is truly for a hobby, then I would always argue that you just figure out what you are passionate about and don't worry as much about the numbers. My two cents -- good luck and have fun.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭
    can you get big name or interesting guest?
  • thepokermonkthepokermonk Red Chipper Posts: 320 ✭✭✭
    I think there's always room for more. What will separate you is your personality. I listen to a ton of podcasts and a lot of them are very similar. Take for instance the Thinking Poker Podcast and the Top Two Pokercast. Both have a pair of male co-hosts doing interviews, talking strategy, analyzing hands, etc. But because the personalities of Drew and Chase on Top Two are so different than those of Andrew and Nate on Thinking Poker, they come off as completely unique and entertaining, both worthy of listening to, regardless of the format similarities. I listen to hear their perspectives, not because of any particular format. I don't even care who they're interviewing because I know that it will be interesting because of their perspectives and passion for the subject.
    If I were you, I would just concern myself with putting yourself in the best position to make sure your personality is coming through. That's what will make the listeners tune in and what will separate you from the other podcasters.
    If you feel like you have something to say and have a passion for the subject matter, go for it.
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    between the ton of vlog, blogs and goal posts....
    to hand history podcasts, poker celebrity podcasts and all things Doug Polk...
    me thinks the airwaves are saturated with poker-related podcasts.

no offense, @Dean M - you actually might have an amazing story to tell.
    and if you think you gotta tell it.... do it.

but I, for one, don't see what you could create that isn't already out there.
    GL.
  • YoshYosh Red Chipper Posts: 580 ✭✭✭
    The @volcano story is begging to be told.
    Yosh wrote: »
    The @volcano story is begging to be told.

Nobody would believe it... I'd be accused of fake news.
  • volcanovolcano Red Chipper Posts: 346 ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    There is an occasional cash poker game broadcast from the Chicago area. If I can get on one ill let you know. I have a keychain camera but I dont wanna film at the table or it seems shady. I cant do podcasts as a 1/2 player, give me a year or 2. I just figured out I havent been playing too long- 3.5 years, What I need to do is the pics of my chipstacks at the cashout.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file