320BB preflop all-in with 77 ?

RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭
Hi everybody,
On Saturday night I was out playing poker at the local poker room - the Universum in Budapest (HU). I play the lowest stakes (50/50ft or 0.17$/0.17$). At this stake, the room contain almost only loose-passive very sticky straightforward players - a blessing and a curse, as discussed in another thread. They limp very often.
But this time, Villain is different: he is very aggressive. Clearly the most aggressive I met there in 7 visits. He has a huge variance and wins / loses hundred of BB (mostly loses) and already had to rebuy few times. He usually plays / rebay deep for ~300-400BB. He got caught few times bluffing with air or almost air with big bets.

We played 5-handed for a while (with a lot of aggression). Nonetheless, 4-bet is not a instrument they know. 2 players just joined and we are now 7.
Villain has 16'000 ft (320BB), Hero covers him.

Hero is BB; Villain is EP.

Hero has :7H: :7S:

PREFLOP
UTG : fold
Villain: limps
LP: limps
BUT: folds
SB: checks
Hero: bets 1050 ft (21BB)

The plan is: bomb the limper and seize their money. With 77, I still have some equity if I get called.
21BB is imho the bare minimum, as 1000 is a psychological barrier. Also they are used to 450-750 (9-15BB) open-bets and call behind if one pays. So we have to bet really large to find folds.

PREFLOP (bis)
UTG: folds
Villain: raise to 3000 ft (60BB)
MP: folds
LP: folds
SB: fold
Hero: ..?

At my surprise, Villain decided to 3-bet. With 77 and Villain making to many betting mistakes, we are not folding. Call or 4-bet?
Imho both have merit, but raising makes more sense.
- First Villain has limped. His range will be weak / weaker than 77, including weak broadway, weak AX, some small pairs and lots of connectors / gapers / double gapers. As he is aggro, he would have open with great hands such KK, AT, KTs, etc. His range is capped when ours isn't when we 4-bet. Maybe he has limped AA "à la Brunson", because 2 active players are to come (SB and Hero) and want to 3-bet; but this will comes once every full moon (let's say 10%). (Spoiler=limping range)
Limping range5huf77xtsb26.png
41rgn5do88if.png
- Second he makes a lot of betting mistakes. He has also already shown the ability to bomb; sometimes with nothing. So he may try to steal the raise with a reraise, maybe with a lot of air. 4-betting may create auto-profit against his weak hands he would fold (would fold: all no-pair combos).
- Finally, we see a flop by calling, but the pot will be already bloated (124BB; 2,1 SPR). We hates our lives on many flops: monochromes, small cards (->Villain got a set?), big cards (->Villain got a random better pair?). Worst: we are OOP to Villain. So few / no IO.

As we don't want him to light call IP, Hero sizes the 4-bet somehow large:

PREFLOP (ter)
Hero: 4-bet to 9'000 ft (180BB)
Villain: tank a bit. Looks deeply Hero (from the moment he 3-betted). And 5-bet all-in for 16'000 ft (320BB).

This is again a very surprising move from Villain. Apparently he sits on a pair - 5-betting is too rare to be made with air, even if it's powerplay against another aggressive player. I guess he would try the shot with any pairs, knowing I would fold many combos who aren't a pair (like AQs for example) and surely many small pairs. And a call with AK will put any of his pair in good shape.

Do we call?
- Villain has a capped range. Even if he might have AA, it's largely discounted. (To be honest, I was too nervous to think about that, I only thought that the worst case are improbable as AA are discounted and 77 is good against AK - yes, even if right after the hand I understood that AK wasn't possible because Villain limped).
- The pot is 25'200 ft. Hero has 7'000ft to call. We have 7000/(25'200+7000) = 21.73 pot odds. We need to win less than 1/4 to be breakeven.

Equity (as I couldn't figure out my equity during the hand, I put it in spoiler)
Flopzilla tells us that 77 has 62% equity against 22-99 and 10% AA.

Worst scenario would be Villain limp-3bet-5bet/all-in with 77-99+10%AA. In all other situation (Villain never limping AA, Villain 5betting with 66+ or lower) we have enough equity to call

PREFLOP (quater)
And Hero... calls. Mostly because of great pot odds v. surely not too much value in his range

Result: flop and Villain's hand
Board
:7D: :6C: :3D: -- :KH: -- :2C: (or :TC: I can't reread my nervous notes)

Villain hand:
:9D: :9C:

Argl, he was on the top of his range. Luckily we got a set on the flop to support our range advantage.
Nonetheless, I'm happy of my line.

After that Villain was totally tilted. For him I break his 99 with 77. As he is unstudied, he surely didn't get that he was behind the whole time. Or that limping put him in a bad situation (if he opens I may call or 3-bet, but then 77 OOP against an uncapped 4-bet... not happy).

Comments

• MonadMonad Red Chipper Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    After you 4! that large it's a pretty easy call vs his 5! all-in.

As for raising his limp reraise in the first place, if he's doing this 22+, AJ+, A9s+, KQ, we have about 49% equity, so we can't fold, & calling puts us in impossible spots post flop as you noticed, so your play is probably a good one. It sort of depends what we estimate our fold equity & his 5! range to be too, but I think most scenarios well be good here.

Most times I'd 4! shove myself pre over a 1/5 stack raise, or 4! much smaller, still probably with intention to call off if he's as crazy as you characterize him.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Red wrote: »
    As he is unstudied, he surely didn't get that he was behind the whole time.

This is great.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    persuadeo wrote: »

This is great.

I noticed this, too! I think (read: hope) that @Red meant that he didn't know that his RANGE was behind the whole time.
  • persuadeopersuadeo Red Chipper, Table Captain Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's what he meant, but there are some layers to it. Top ten forum one-liner for sure.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thanks @Monad .
    For Villain's range, you're putting too much value (AJ, KQ, etc.) in it. I think he will at least open-bet TT+ and ATB; I would say even wider since he is loose-aggro.

This is great.

I noticed this, too! I think (read: hope) that @Red meant that he didn't know that his RANGE was behind the whole time.
    It's what he meant, but there are some layers to it. Top ten forum one-liner for sure.

Haha!

Yes it was what I meant, i.e. talking about ranges. That his capped limp/3bet/5-bet all-in range was behind (i.e. with fewer premium/strong combos and in fine less equity than) my uncapped open-bet/4-bet range :)
  • MonadMonad Red Chipper Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭✭
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭
    In the spoiler at the end of the 1st post ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file