Seeking coach and/or mentor

mbecks83mbecks83 Red Chipper Posts: 79 ✭✭
Two quick points to make up front:
1) Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Feel free to reprimand me and/or move the thread
2) I'm not 'new to poker' but I didn't know where else to post this

At the risk of repeating my welcome post from a few weeks ago here's my quick history. I played online 10-50nl for a couple of years and was a very small winner but got sick of the grind and quit. Took a couple of years off and decided it would be more fun to play live £1/£2, central London, which I've been doing now since late January.

My results so far aren't great. I've played about 20 sessions and am down around 450bb, call it four and a half stacks. I corrected some initial mistakes via my own notes and since then I usually feel like one of the more competent players at the table but the results aren't going my way recently.

The problem is I genuinely don't know if I'm a losing player or just experiencing some variance, and a big part of this problem is that I have nobody to talk about poker with! This is really what I'm looking for. I do watch videos on this site, post hands, and make my own notes which I'd love to discuss with someone qualified.

I know there are a lot of coaches on this site and I really feel the need for a coach or even just a mentor who I can talk with. Initially I would be looking to have a single session with maybe 2-3 coaches to go over hands and concepts, see what leaks they identify and generally see how we get on as people. It might be that's all I need for a while. Depending on how my playing goes after that, I might look to have more regular sessions or just consult someone a few times a year to check in on progress.

Poker is my main hobby so I can siphon off a reasonable amount for it (I work full time). But the last thing I want is to be that guy who plays poker recreationally and loses thousands of pounds a year doing it. On the other hand I have no ambitions of crushing 5/10 or winning WSOP bracelets, I just want to be a consistent 1/2 winner and have a hobby that's enjoyable.

Are there any coaches here that would be willing to take me on for an initial session? Or any winning London regs who would consider a mentoring arrangement? It would be fantastic if we could occasionally sit at the same live table although I realise this is a long shot and isn't essential. Being London-based isn't a deal-breaker. It's more about talking poker 1-to-1 with someone who is focused on helping me with my game.

Comments

• Daniel LDaniel L Red Chipper Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Hi mbecks,

I'll happily meet you for some poker chat - I'm *not* a pro by any means, but I am a winning player at live 1/2 & 1/3 (also mostly in London, although I now live about 35 mins away). Let me know if you're interested and we'll set something up.
  • mbecks83mbecks83 Red Chipper Posts: 79 ✭✭
    Thanks Daniel, will message you. Anyone beating these stakes would be great to chat to.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @mbecks83 ,

I live more and less with a similar situation as I'm eager to find a poker buddy to share the hobby and analyze thing. I guess it will be easier for your in Central London than for me traveling around Europa - and actually in Hungary.
    At the end of the day, you can always post your hands and questions on the forum and we will answer you / give you our impressions.

A coach is imho a different "service". I can't really say much as I didn't had any coaching session, but you will find more info in the Podcast 72 "Do I Need a Poker Coach?": https://redchippoker.com/need-poker-coach-podcast/

Hey @Red

Thanks for that link, I did read the summary of that podcast before posting. I'm still keen to try at least a few initial sessions with a coach.

I do post hands in the forums and try to take on board the advice but I'm at a stage where I'd like something a bit more bespoke and focused. If that comes at a price, I'm happy to pay it.

Side note: I did have some coaching years ago when I was playing online micros. It was specifically for online play, and it was cheap, and frankly I got what I paid for (it wasn't very good). I'd much rather get a decent genuine live poker coach for a handful of sessions just to assess my game and help steer me in a better direction, and build some confidence.

Fwiw I'm happy to chat hands with you but as a (currently) losing player I'm not sure how much help I can be! Also it sounds like the type of games we play in might not match up that well? I'm open anyway!
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    If you were a winning online player, you're not a bad player. You also have notes of live hands to review and analyze - what's needed to pinpoint leaks and look for the solution (and/or ask on the forum for advises). I would say you've already many things in your hands to improve your game :)

Also I don't know if you're read some article about transition between online and live poker? (Splitsuit discussed the topic few times, like in this article: https://redchippoker.com/online-to-live-poker-transition/ ).

Now I don't say "don't hire a coach!" , it really depends on yourself and your need.
    I just give you the impression of a breakeven player who studies by himself for 5 months (so much free material) and spend his time on the forum to discuss his and redchippers' hands. (I didn't reach the need of a coach, yet!)
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    When it comes to hiring a poker coach - caveat emptor!

I am not saying you can't get value from a coach just that you really need to do your homework to find someone who is worth it for you.
    Yeah @kenaces this is the crucial part! Hence the idea to have some intro sessions first with a few of them.

I know there are a bunch of coaches on RCP so I'm kinda hoping some might get in contact. Maybe I'm in the wrong section for that and they need to be contacted directly? Hm
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mbecks83 wrote: »
    I know there are a bunch of coaches on RCP so I'm kinda hoping some might get in contact. Maybe I'm in the wrong section for that and they need to be contacted directly? Hm

yeah - I think all of them have their contact info in their bios. You can see all that if you're a subscriber and have access to the videos.

There's also been a lot of talk on these threads about coaching and what to look for... check out the tags at the bottom right of the forums home page and click "poker coach" to learn more.

EDIT: the "coaching" tag is too far down on the list to show up.
    But here's the link.
  • ChipXtractorChipXtractor Red Chipper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I would suggest you get in contact w/ @persuadeo

I am biased but you can just scan thru these forums and see for yourself if he is generally a fit for what you might want.

Also his going rate is VERY reasonable for the value he brings.

Just my opinion/suggection. Good luck.
  • porterporter Red Chipper Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    I would suggest you get in contact w/ @persuadeo

I am biased but you can just scan thru these forums and see for yourself if he is generally a fit for what you might want.

Also his going rate is VERY reasonable for the value he brings.

Just my opinion/suggection. Good luck.

I was going to reply and say about the same thing. I think @persuadeo would be a good fit for you. I have worked with him and recommend his coaching.
    You guys rock, thanks for the links and support.

Somewhat predictably, I actually picked up a stack and a half in last night's session :) Still... a long way to go.

I've got non-poker distractions for a few days now but will be following up on all this in due course.

Thanks again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file