Medium pocket pair preflop

jaxbanker2202jaxbanker2202 Red Chipper Posts: 19 ✭✭
$1/$2 NL w effective stacks of about $60 and 8 players. Been playing for about 20 min.

EP raises to $12 and has around $60. I am in middle position and look down at pocket 7s. As I look down, the button is picking up his chips - also about $60. We have history - all the money went in on the flop and my nut flush draw came in against his TPTK.

I don't have odds to call, so my choice is raise or fold. Against EP player, I am crushed by an overpair and racing against overcards. B seemed anxious to play against the EP raiser. His range is wide.

I feel like I am either racing against 3-4 overcards or crushed by an overpair. I fold. Thoughts?

Comments

• DeezNutsDeezNuts Red Chipper Posts: 122 ✭✭
    I'd fold as well. Your racing most of the time. Stacks are so small that any money V1 or V2 put into the pot. You can be comfortable concluding they have atleast overs to your pocket 7's.
    Also. A tip for you .When a player goes for his chips before it's his or her turn to act. It does not necessarily mean they have a great hand and are willing to put money in the pot. It could also mean they hold a marginal hand and he or she makes the deliberate move to go for their chips to scare the current acting player from raising. Just like in your case here.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭
    1) What is the effective stack size between you and button?

2) Are your SURE that button is calling if you make it $60?

I'm not suggesting that you necessarily call or raise -- yet. I think that more info is needed.
  • jaxbanker2202jaxbanker2202 Red Chipper Posts: 19 ✭✭
    1) $60 effective
    2) Not sure what B will do (as Justin pointed out). My feeling was that he wanted to play for his stack. Seemed like a very impatient player who had been pretty active.
  • jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Fold. If you are short stacking, please pick 10+ AK/AQo as hands to go to war with. It's a boring but profitable game. Short stacking vs other short stacks is bad. Please buy-in for more or top off if there aren't big stacks at the table ignoring you. The bad part about short stacks is A. You can't play suited connectors. B. You can't really play marginal broad way hards C. You CAN leverage your stack against opens with marginal blocking hands, but you can't be afraid to get stacked this way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file