Bust out first level end of poker league season

zampana1970zampana1970 Red Chipper Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
I'm the small stack at the table, with 25bb. Level 1, 100/100 blinds. This is the final night of our poker league and stacks range from 10bb to 250bb. About 70 players. This is the 7th hand of the night.
I'm in the small blind, dealt K8o, two callers to me. BB is the table big stack (approx 200bb) and the dealer (maybe 150bb) is the other. The other caller has about 100bb or so.
I check my blind. K8o is too weak for me to get funny, even though no one has expressed any strength.
Flop Kd6d5h. I check, planning to call any bet. Could have led out but again not feeling like this is donkable. Maybe this was a mistake?
It's checked around. Turn is 8h. Now I bet pot, 4bb. BB insta-calls. Everyone else folds.
River is 2h. I bet half my stack, 10bb, 11 left behind. BB pushes all-in. This guy will get tricky and will bluff the river. I feel like 2pair here is too good to fold. Do you agree?

Comments

• MonadMonad Red Chipper Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭✭
    Bet flop. As played rest looks normal. Stack off is appropriate here.
  • zampana1970zampana1970 Red Chipper Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Okay, so when you lose this spot and you find yourself here and on a pretty long ugly losing streak where you're the favorite and you don't win and you're the dog and you don't win there either and most of the time you miss the flips, how do you deal? I know this is the classic variance question and people will point me to Elements of Poker, which I've read twice, but I'd love to know how red chippers deal with a long run of losing poker?
  • MonadMonad Red Chipper Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭✭
    The Poker Mindset is the best mental game book I've read.

Short answer -- you need to play alot & get acclimated to the swings.
  • zampana1970zampana1970 Red Chipper Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    how would you quantify a lot when playing live tournaments. i know that one should be bankrolled for 100 tourny buyins at your level so busting out of the money 50 times running even playing good poker can be expected. but i guess my question is how to keep a level head thru that when you're naturally adverse to the feeling of being out of control and things not going your way...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file