Do you fold AKs in this spot?

morel huntermorel hunter Red Chipper Posts: 187 ✭✭
WPT $360 buy in $150K guarantee tourney. Starting stack is/ was 15K. 30 min. blinds, currently at level 7, 50 ante 250/ 500 blind.

UTG goes all in pf again (he has did this 3x's recently with marginal hands) for 10BB. I'm UTG+1 and have :Ad:Kd and have 30BB. What should I do?

If I call then I let others in at a reduced price versus my premium hand. If I would call, which to me is crazy, what would I do if shoved on? Fold or call?

If I raise I feel that I should go all in 'cause why put 67% of my stack in with a min. raise? I have a premium hand and there are only two hands that dominate me (ie: AA & KK). Although there are 8 people behind me to act.

If I fold...then I'm a pussy. What hands would I be waiting on?

Anyway, I went all in and the monsters under the bed showed up. AA "and I'm out"(Boski)

Did I play this right with 30BB left having to call 10BB?

Comments

• DeezNutsDeezNuts Red Chipper Posts: 122 ✭✭
    Based on your analysis, it seems like you already know the line you took was the best. Other player just had better cards.
  • Poker-SoldierPoker-Soldier Red Chipper Posts: 4
    edited April 2017
    Was in a similar situation. Down to 30 players from around 400. Small stack shoved, I raised all-in with AK. Last player to act call with AAs. The short stack had AT. Left me with less then 10 bigs. Shoved two hands later with AQs and lost to a J high flush. Oh well. I think we both played it right but it just didn't work out.
    I don't gamble, I play poker
  • morel huntermorel hunter Red Chipper Posts: 187 ✭✭
    Justin wrote: »
    Based on your analysis, it seems like you already know the line you took was the best. Other player just had better cards.

Is there an amount threshold as to when I am supposed to fold AKs? Here I had 30BB in a tourney. If I had 40BB then I could have min. raised for half my stack and folded to a shove perhaps....perhaps.?

Also the way in which you used the word "pussy" is derogatory to women. This is a friendly and respectable forum community. and we want all players to feel welcomed.
    edited April 2017

Is there an amount threshold as to when I am supposed to fold AKs? Here I had 30BB in a tourney. If I had 40BB then I could have min. raised for half my stack and folded to a shove perhaps....perhaps.?

I dont even think I min bet with 40 BB. Because if you get shoved on. Your stuck. You pretty much gotta call off your remaining stack
  • HalHal Red Chipper Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Also the way in which you used the word "pussy" is derogatory to women. This is a friendly and respectable forum community. and we want all players to feel welcomed.

You are right. I apologize to anyone that I may have offended. I would edit it to wussy if I could. Or just leave it out all together may be better. Kind of interesting that our President can use that word and get away with it thought...kinda....but not really.

• jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Jam over top for isolation. This is a premium hand, and while I don't play many tournaments I do know nobody like a min cash hero. Sometimes it's just your time to die.
    jfarrow13 wrote: »
    Jam over top for isolation. This is a premium hand, and while I don't play many tournaments I do know nobody like a min cash hero. Sometimes it's just your time to die.

Cool. I just wanted to make sure I had made the correct play. With 30BB left I wasn't sure that putting my tournament life at risk with an ace high was the optimal decision.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file