recording hands during a live session

Monty BMonty B Red Chipper Posts: 6
Hi guys just wondering how you all record hands during a live session?
Tagged:

Comments

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭✭
    You will find 2 schools: with paper or with a smartphone app.

I use paper, a sheet I made myself to have all info I need. I print enough of them for each session and write my hands down.
    @SplitSuit also edited a book with spreadsheets ready to use for hand recording: http://www.splitsuit.com/keep-track-of-your-live-poker-hands

I prefer paper because I can write comments more easily. I find it also easier to use for the off-table analysis (write all good and bad thing in different colors). I've also a better memory when I'm writing than when I'm typing.

Con of paper is you don't have direct stats from the session (which hands were played, in which position, etc.), which you can have easily with a good app. Another con is that it's usually more discreet to use an app, as many player use a phone on the table, when paper hand recording is pretty visible sheets-and-pen.
  • bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭
    I've tried a ton of apps, but none of them work very well. So, currently, I use the note taking feature on my smartphone.

For apps, Poker Analytics has the best hand history app there is. However, there were some things I just couldn't stand about it.

If my hand writing were legible, I would probably use pen and paper.
  • jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Shiet I just remember them. If they weren't important enough to remember, I count them as not important enough to post.
  • Sean OSean O Red Chipper Posts: 298 ✭✭
    I'm with @jfarrow13. One thing I discovered about myself, in school and work situations, I can either take notes or pay attention, but I'm not very good at doing both. 95% of the time, the right answer for how I process info is to pay attention and let my brain keep track of the important stuff. Gets me in trouble some times, but it's better than having pages of notes and missing the big idea.

I downloaded donkeyscope for iOS, which seems pretty good but I haven't really used it for reasons noted above. It gives some stats for free, and a paid upgrade gives you another packet of stats.
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    check out former posts under "Note Taking"
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭✭
    All hands are interesting to analyze. Yes, we want to get at the hard ones first (and maybe more easily), be they blunder or a very difficult/weird situation. But there are a LOT of information to gather from "marginal" hands. Bet sizes, history of actions, alternative lines, if we let money on the table or extract the max, etc.

And yes, taking notes decrease our focus on the game (especially if we are not used to) - and I would record all my sessions - but by looking only for "the" hand of the session we are missing some very interesting spots to analyze.

Our worst weaknesses are the ones we don't know about ;)
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,875 -
    I just use the voice recorder and brain dump. I am buying a condo right now and need to replenish funds so I am writing a new book. Going through these old recordings (some two years old) I find them to be more than sufficient to reconstruct hands I have long since forgotten.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug Hull wrote: »
    I just use the voice recorder and brain dump. I am buying a condo right now and need to replenish funds so I am writing a new book. Going through these old recordings (some two years old) I find them to be more than sufficient to reconstruct hands I have long since forgotten.

Party at the condo during the WSOP???!!
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,875 -
    Closing date is unfortunately near tail end of WSOP. It is far from ideal time to be moving. Thankfully all the paperwork is done now then just wait for seller's date.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file