Tourney Line Check

Patrick LawlerPatrick Lawler Red Chipper Posts: 108 ✭✭
Hi All,

Playing a £110 tourney recently and i'm not going to lie I got completely lost by the river....

Blinds are 150/300+75 (level 3) and I have like 21k with AA in the CO and I'm the effective stack.

UTG opens to 500. He's playing a lot of hands, but has been very passive both pre and post flop. It folds round to me and I make it 1500. The Button almost beats me in to the pot with his call, both blinds fold and UTG tanks for a couple of secs then calls.

Flop - 2 5 9 rainbow (5625 in the pot)

UTG checks, I CB 3k. Button insta-calls again and UTG thinks and calls.

Turn - 6 (14,625)

UTG checks again. I continue for 4k (probably a little small in hindsight). Button calls as does UTG.

River - J (28,625)

UTG now checks a third time. I realise I'm either way ahead of way behind here but I'm struggling to put him on a range that has me in trouble considering the preflop action (99 and JJ obviously but still…). I got for thin value for 5k (leaving about 8k behind) button now sigh folds (guessing he got sticky with two overs or like 77, 88 etc). UTG check raises me for the rest….

What do you think of my line here, I think kind of feels like a dream board for the AA?

Thanks
Pat

Comments

• kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pat - I'm left very confused after reading your post.
    first:
    Blinds are 150/300+75 (level 3)
    UTG opens to 500.

UTG can't open for 500 if BB is 300, he must open for 600.

next:
    UTG opens to 500. It folds round to me and I make it 1500.

if blinds are 150/300 and 75 antes...
    so pot at start of hand is 450 + 750 = 1200
    if UTG makes it 500... pot is 1700... I'm making it at least 2300 for several reasons:
    If I win the hand uncontested, I'm happy
    If V calls, he's got to call 1700 to win 4000... still a reasonable 3-bet
    AND most important
    if V calls, pot will be 5700-ish giving us an SPR of 3-ish
    So we can bet 3500-4400 on flop
    and GIAI on the turn
    also - betting big now takes the silly suited connectors and gappers out of his range
    leaving only big aces, pocket pairs and broadways.
    this makes it easier for you to hand read the flop & turn....

We don't want to have chips left over when the river comes - because when V calls or fold - he'll either have a good made hand or nothing, and we will have lost value.

As played - I don't like your bet sizing.
    I don't think you're ever folding here.
    So with 5k+ in pot - I'd bet 4-ish on flop
    and shove any turn.

anything else feels too fishy for my taste....
  • Patrick LawlerPatrick Lawler Red Chipper Posts: 108 ✭✭
    Hi @kagey yep realise now that i got the level wrong in my notes. the level was 100/200+50...

looking over the notes as i was typing them up i realise that my bet sizing was well off here. I'm new to these larger tournaments i thought 'standard' sizing for 3bets was 3x the raise pre? trying to stick to a rough structure while im getting comfortable in them.

In cash i would always be betting on the larger size (been a member of RC for a while haha) but in a tournament i thought the sizings were generally smaller.

I have also been tied up thinking that a UTG opening range would be much tighter and hence the board doesn't do much for it.
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In cash i would always be betting on the larger size (been a member of RC for a while haha) but in a tournament i thought the sizings were generally smaller.

I have also been tied up thinking that a UTG opening range would be much tighter and hence the board doesn't do much for it.
    I think it was Jonathon Little that once talked about how tourney sizings are generally smaller in some sense to allow you to play more hands and overcome the luck factor.

@Jymaster11 might say that your smaller sizings were good...
    but for me, with AA, if I'm pretty much never folding, so I'm looking for a double up.

I agree that UTG's range should be strong... all the more reason to "poke the bear" and get him to repop you (if he's got KK or AK).

The ante levels a very big deal - there are at least 2 more big blinds in the pot per hand - adjusting your bet sizing to include them is very important. Esp with a big hand.

I know it's not a very balanced way to play... but when you're the shortest stack at the table, I'm going to ramp up my aggression to build my stack now - and adjust my approach after I've got more chips to "gamble" with.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kagey wrote: »
    The ante levels a very big deal - there are at least 2 more big blinds in the pot per hand - adjusting your bet sizing to include them is very important.

You would think so, but modern tournament poker by a lot of the top players generally uses much smaller sizing than I would have expected. For example with Patrick's adjusted blinds, a preflop raise might be something like 425-450.

• jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    p.s. I would ask a mod like @SplitSuit to move to the tournament forum.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file