Failed Streets of Value

Miles HMiles H Red Chipper Posts: 30 ✭✭
Online MTT $10+$1 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level XI (150/300 Ante 40)

MP1 22,049 (73.5 bb)
MP2 Hero 11,930 (39.8 bb)
MP3 10,468 (34.9 bb)
CO 9,629 (32.1 bb)
BTN 7,100 (23.7 bb)
SB 3,130 (10.4 bb)
BB Villain 4,200 (14 bb)
UTG+1 8,305 (27.7 bb)
UTG+2 13,610 (45.4 bb)

New to table, no reads

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with :Ks :Jd
3folds, Hero raises to 705, 4 folds, BB calls.

Flop: (1,920) :Jh :3d :9d (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

Usually I would almost always cbet this flop, but I decided to take a different approach this time. I just today learned about Millers "Streets of Value", which I would like to implement in my game. So, my thought process was that by checking I would get 2 streets of value by worse pairs or worse Jacks instead of just one if I bet the flop. Also, there werent too many scare turn cards for me and I planned for a delayed cbet.

Turn: (1,920) :9H: (2 players)
BB bets 900, Hero calls 900

Now the board pairs and he donks, which is a spot I dont like. Of course I am not folding but I just dont know what to do with it. I could either shove or just call. I think he would play Jx, Ax, 9x, Pocket Pairs and draws this way. So, I guess I should have jammed at this point. But since I was confused I just called. My plan was to call off missed draws on the river, I guess.

River: (3,720) :QH: (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

I dont really get value from anything and I have showdown value so I check back.

My initial plan to get 2 streets of value failed, which got me thinking when to bet for value with Toppair. Is it wrong to check-back this flop with Toppair? I personally think the flaw in this is the turn, where I should have raised the donk bet.

Villain shows :QS: :3S: and wins pot.

Thankful for any thoughts. :)

Comments

• GabeyJGabeyJ Red Chipper Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    what leads you to the assumption that there won't be to many scare turn cards? I'm fine with a c here on a good amount of flops with top pair. But this board isn't really gin for your holding.
  • NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭✭
    C-bet is very necessary on such a wet board. If you're thinking about streets of value, I'd rather bet now and check later to get value from draws rather then letting them see cards for free.
  • Miles HMiles H Red Chipper Posts: 30 ✭✭
    I was under the assumption that I myself hold cards which block draws and I myself would gain equity on most turns that fall in that range. But I know it's a flop where Villain could have connected somehow but since he is in the BB he can have so much more.

So in general: On a draw heavy Board with Toppair Good Kicker there is always a merit in cbetting the flop and the delayed cbet with the goal for 2 streets of value works just on dryer rainbow boards? I am trying to figure when this concept applies.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file