SB Tristan.eu 9,402 (9.4 bb)
BB Hero 25,905 (25.9 bb)
UTG+2 doki5249 14,632 (14.6 bb)
MP1 Grimeyyyy 19,733 (19.7 bb)
MP2 TheEsquilax 38,766 (38.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with :AS: :6H:
2 folds, TheEsquilax raises to 2,150, 4 folds, Hero calls 1,150
Standard call right?

Flop: (5,800) :9C: :AC: :QD: (2 players)
Hero checks, TheEsquilax bets 2,204, Hero calls 2,204
I dont have any reads on that guy yet, but I think this is a flop where he could bet with very much and since I have Toppair I call.

Turn: (10,208) :4S: (2 players)
Hero checks, TheEsquilax bets 3,879, Hero calls 3,879
This bet sizing was a little on the shorter side, which got me to believe that he was more likely to be on a draw or to fire a second more desperate bullet. Although the 4 is a blank, I think an Ace would bet more to protect. The 4 doesnt change much, so when I call the flop I have to call the turn aswell, especially for the price he gives me. But I am still cautious.

River: (17,966) :7D: (2 players)
Hero checks, TheEsquilax bets 15,000, Hero calls 15,000
Oh my, I tanked until the last second and just called him. It's a very polarizing bet, all the draws in his range miss and I think it's a weird bet for an ace. So either he has nothing or something really good. Plus, I have an Ace myself, which makes a little less likely for him to have one.
Results: 47,966 pot
TheEsquilax showed :AD: :9S: and won 47,966 (24,608 net)

I hate these spots and these are always crucial in tournaments. I just lose too much money in these spots. How can I play diffently? Just call 2 streets and fold a river bet, unless I have a good read on a guy? Try leading myself? What are your BB defense philosophies?

Please help me out. Thank you very much :)

Comments

• tripletiretripletire Red Chipper Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Very standard defend pre, some like to 3bet raggy aces but there's a lot better options to be 3betting light when we're talking about BB defense. Your 3bet value range is going to cover a lot of A high boards here anyways, so 3betting hands you can't call with like 85s, T7o, Q4s, etc, are going to be much better. Since your defending range has to be wide from the BB for many reasons, A6o fits comfortably in your range pre.

I think the flop call is very clear, the turn call is fairly clear, then the river call is where discussion can vary. I like the turn call when you know your opponent is capable of barreling with his bluffs - his FD's and JT's, even better if he has all gutshots too.

On the river, you're right - his bet is quite polarizing. He's saying he has AA, QQ, 99, AQ, likely A9, and maybe AK. This is 23 combos of value (counting AK at 50%)(Our A blocks his value nicely too).

Counting out all of his busted draws: He doesn't have that many FD's here, KJcc, KTcc, JTcc, maybe 87cc. His straight draws - JT, KT, KJ make up the rest. That's 13 combos of bluffs.

We need 31.3% to call, and we have 36.1% against this range. This assumes he's triple barreling all of those bluffs.

So after reviewing this spot, I'm actually going to lean more towards a fold on the river based off the assumption that villains at lower stakes tend not to bluff at a high enough frequency, and since we have no reads we can't confirm/deny that assumption. Against a solid midstakes reg, I'd like this call since we're getting the right odds on our ranging (although his range might be different, stronger players can stray away from taking such aggressive lines with ultra strong draws like OESD + FD - JTcc, etc.)
  • Miles HMiles H Red Chipper Posts: 30 ✭✭
    tripletire wrote: »
    Counting out all of his busted draws: He doesn't have that many FD's here, KJcc, KTcc, JTcc, maybe 87cc. His straight draws - JT, KT, KJ make up the rest. That's 13 combos of bluffs.

How did you come up with 13 combos of bluffs here? There are 16 combos of JT alone, what am I missing?

• tripletiretripletire Red Chipper Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Miles H wrote: »
    tripletire wrote: »

How did you come up with 13 combos of bluffs here? There are 16 combos of JT alone, what am I missing?

I used only JTs, KTs, KJs, apologies for not pointing that out. You can definitely adjust his preflop opening range to include these if you believe an average player in your game is often opening these, and I think it's reasonable to assume he might. That definitely could weight his range towards bluffs here if he's looser pre.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file