Tournament Ruling

MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 143 ✭✭
edited April 2017 in Tournament Poker Hands
Level 8 of a $360 buy in Tournament, I was moved to my table 2 orbits earlier. Seat 1 was taking forever to make even the most basic decisions. Seat 6 is getting tired of it and tells seat one that if he keeps it up he will be calling the clock on every hand. Next hand seat 1 takes 4 minutes to fold 8-3 off (in a raised pot) face up saying oops as he did it. Next hand seat 6 gives seat 1 2 minutes and then calls the clock. Floor comes over counts down the clock and with 2 seconds left finally folds. Next hand same thing and seat 1 gets a warning from the floor. So far so good. Next hand seat 3 raises all in and it fold to seat 6 who within 5 seconds asks for a count. As the words leave his mouth seat 1 calls clock, floor starts the clock while the dealer is still counting the all in. Seat 6 protests and floor says that the clock applies to all players. The dealer gets done with the count with 12 seconds left on the 1 minute clock. And seat 6's hand ends up getting folded by the clock. I feel that this was an awful ruling and in my opinion the seat 6 should have had at least 1 minute to act after the count before the clock could be started. Am I wrong or did the floor mess up?

Comments

• kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rulings like this are at the floor's discretion.
    sometimes it's 1 minute once they've arrived. othertimes they will take a few moments to assess the situation before giving 1 minute.
    I've seen the floor make it 30 seconds because it took them some time to get to the table.

Once a few players start abusing the clock and the floor gets involved, it gets ugly.

It's one of the problems in poker where everybody thinks they need to balance their tanking with good and bad hands. Ridiculous.

Why does it matter whether or not Seat 6 gets adequate time to call an all in?
    were you seat 6?
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, bad ruling. Floor should be aware of what's going on here, clearly a retaliation call by Seat 1 and way too fast. I'd give Seat 1 another warning or even a penalty at this point. He's obviously simply being disruptive now.
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 143 ✭✭
    kagey wrote: »
    rulings like this are at the floor's discretion.
    sometimes it's 1 minute once they've arrived. othertimes they will take a few moments to assess the situation before giving 1 minute.
    I've seen the floor make it 30 seconds because it took them some time to get to the table.

Once a few players start abusing the clock and the floor gets involved, it gets ugly.

It's one of the problems in poker where everybody thinks they need to balance their tanking with good and bad hands. Ridiculous.

Why does it matter whether or not Seat 6 gets adequate time to call an all in?
    were you seat 6?

Actually I was seat 9. The reason that it matters is that poker is a game of rules and according to my understanding the rule provides for a reasonable amount of time to act. In this case seat 6 right away asked for a count and in my opinion should have at least one minute from the end of the count before clock is called.
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mnpoker wrote: »
    Actually I was seat 9. The reason that it matters is that poker is a game of rules and according to my understanding the rule provides for a reasonable amount of time to act. In this case seat 6 right away asked for a count and in my opinion should have at least one minute from the end of the count before clock is called.
    Dude, it's poker...
    It's not rocket science!

Seat 6 should already have considered his options prior to the count:
    if ALL IN has me covered, then I fold. or call.
    if ALL IN has ½ my chip stack, then I shove.
    if ALL IN has ¾ my chip stack,then I call.
    if ALL IN has ¼ my chip stack, then I raise.

easy peasy.

it's not like ALL IN's range is going to change AFTER dealer offers a chip count.
    His range should already be set based on chip stack, position and action before him.

Besides, it's EVERY PLAYER'S JOB to know all the stack at all times when playing at a table. The dealer count is just a COURTESY. Not part of the rules.

Now, if it took dealer longer than 1 minute to count the chip stack, then I agree with you. But since seat 6 started the "clock wars" with Seat 1, now he's gotta pay the piper.
    As they say, "your harvest comes from the seeds you sow"..
    Seat 6 didn't start the problems, obviously Seat 1 did.
  • Paul_KPaul_K DFWRed Chipper Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    jeffnc wrote: »
    Seat 6 didn't start the problems, obviously Seat 1 did.

Agreed.

But being that seat 1 was obviously acting like a jackass, seat 6 should have been well prepared to have the clock called on him the moment he was put to a future decision. And, being prepared for it, he should have acted as if it didn't bother him one bit.
    Seat 6 should assume the clock is getting called on him, but certainly not 5 seconds after calling for a count that he hasn't even gotten yet.
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Just played another tournament at the same card room last night and spoke to the TD. He said that seat 6 should have had at least 1 minute from the end of the count before the clock could be started and the the floor that made the call will be informed of this

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file