Borgata HH

uglytunauglytuna Red Chipper Posts: 130 ✭✭
This HH from Borgata's opening event.

Borgata Opening Event

10 hands left in Day 1 and blinds are 2000/4000 whatever ante.

Hero with 345K just moves to a new table covers all players. Has no history with anyone.

Hero is in BB and action folds to the second table chip leader (300K) on the button.

V from the button makes 9K and Hero 3B to 23k.
V 4B to 55k Hero calls with TT. (Red Tens)

Flop: TJQ (two clubs)

Hero leads for 60k and V snap shoves Allin.

Hero?

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,070 -
    1. Never folding as played.
    2. Why are you flatting the 4bet preflop? What do you rep? Do you expect to win the pot often enough? Would 5betting be better?
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • uglytunauglytuna Red Chipper Posts: 130 ✭✭
    Is a 5B really better?

Would you fold to a 6B shove from V if I 5B because most of your stack is in the pot already.
    That's what I'm trying to prompt out of you =)

There are numbers that you can 5b/fold to...
  • uglytunauglytuna Red Chipper Posts: 130 ✭✭
    What's would of be the most optimal way to play this hand?
    I would 5b/fold to 112K personally.

But I'm a cash game player - so take my advice with a grain of salt =)
  • GazelligGazellig RCP Coach Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Your 3b is too small pre flop. Since you’re getting a great price versus the small open you are going to want to call with a lot of hands here, which means that when your general strategy is to call preflop you should 3b to a larger sizing with a mixture of value hands and bluffs, i.e. you should be polarised here for sure. I would make it at least 3.2x his raise, so at least 28,800.

As played, how light do you think he is 4-betting here? I think flatting vs the 4b is OK since you don’t want to be folding the value part of your 3b range on the whole. Whether we should continue with a call or a 5b comes down to what you think his range is.

What are your reasons for leading the flop? His value range is all over this board (AK,QQ,JJ). As played I think we have to call. Our call pre and donk lead on this board looks pretty weak and he can play his whole value range this way. How likely is he to just jam AK though?

@Lauren - interesting to hear you say your goal to bag close to the end of the day? If this was the first hand of day 2, would your thought process and strategy change? I don't believe there’s any difference between getting the chips in now and on the first hand of the next day's play. I recognise that making day 2s and bagging can feel great, but unless you make money by making day 2, you should just treat it as one continuous tournament.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file