HALP!!! Pretty sure I'm in over my head here

PrinceJellyfishPrinceJellyfish Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
Ok, quick little bit about me as a player. I've been playing since before the "boom", yeah, I'm an old fart. Anyway, I have finally gotten serious about studying and really working on my game and improving it. Even if I'm just a rec player/reg ie, not trying to make a living off playing, I still want to maximize my profits while at the table. And come on, who doesn't enjoy a winning session more than a losing one?

Onto my ask then. I recently purchased the live hand reading workbook along with flopzilla. Just getting into hand #1 and I can't help but feel like I'm in a little over my head. It's not so much the line of thought or anything, but more-so with the software. I'm not quite sure I know just what I'm doing with flopzilla yet, and that is making the workbook seem a bit more daunting of an exercise. I've tried watching a couple of videos on the software, and still don't really think I'm quite getting it.

Anyone have a link that might help me out? Or maybe even a few minutes to have a quick skype to show me a few things? Thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,876 -
    I did not look, but if you are a PRO member, my "Constructing Ranges" series uses a lot of Flopzilla. This will probably get you in the right direction. I suspect @splitsuit will find this thread and have his own resources to share.

Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    @PrinceJellyfish also if you are having trouble figuring out how flopzilla works and what all those funny blue funnels and red Xs are flopzilla website has full feature demonstration videos. Or ask away here.
  • PrinceJellyfishPrinceJellyfish Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
    tfazio wrote: »
    @PrinceJellyfish also if you are having trouble figuring out how flopzilla works and what all those funny blue funnels and red Xs are flopzilla website has full feature demonstration videos. Or ask away here.

Thank you @tfazio!! O.k. then. Question for you about % of previous range. How are we finding this? Do we select the hands in the statistics section (set, 2 pair, over pair, etc.) that we would take this action with?
  • bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭
    Flopzilla has a great instructional manual--within Flopzilla, go to Help > Online Written Manual. This has shown me how to do everything that I've ever tried to do in Flopzilla. From there, working through the Hand Reading Workbook, you'll slowly develop a sense of what you want to do in the software.

Just like anything else, it can seem scary at first, but once you start practicing, you'll notice it's easier then you ever imagined!
  • tfaziotfazio Red Chipper Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    It is very obvious once it clicks
    The once the green button is on that % or number of
    Combos which you can toggle
    If you started with 160 combos
    Once the flop comes there is card removal which reduces the number of combos to start
    Then you filter and that % is your % of precious range
    Msg me and maybe we can skype through this
    Also I wouldn't hurt to audit our skype group
  • David ADavid A Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    hi guys,

can i use flop falcon to go through the problems in the workbook or must it really be flopzilla?
  • William HWilliam H Red Chipper Posts: 76 ✭✭
    I found it useful to watch @SplitSuit do Hand 15 using Flopzilla on YouTube. He has a series of 4 10min videos, here's the link...

Note that you should watch on a big computer screen not on your phone so you can see what he is actually doing on Flopzilla.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    David A wrote: »
    hi guys,

can i use flop falcon to go through the problems in the workbook or must it really be flopzilla?

FlopFalcon and Flopzilla don't give you the same information. They are different tool to analyse the board - and only the flop for FlopFalcon. So I would say no, you can't use FlopFalcon for the exercices in the workbook. (I mean you can, but you will find other information than the ones the workbook as you to look for.)

If you want an alternative, you can use Equilab. Not as great as Flopzilla for these exercises, but you can do them with it.

Also if you don't have Flopzilla and want to purchase it, Splitsuit made different promotion to get it discounted or for free. I (and many other) can only advise you to use Flopzilla; once able to handle it, you will have a deeper understanding of poker.
  • PrinceJellyfishPrinceJellyfish Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
    William H wrote: »
    I found it useful to watch @SplitSuit do Hand 15 using Flopzilla on YouTube. He has a series of 4 10min videos, here's the link...

Note that you should watch on a big computer screen not on your phone so you can see what he is actually doing on Flopzilla.

Thanks! That actually was quite helpful.

Here is my work-through from hand 1, am I doing this right?

2a9ecr2296iq.png

evvst1itz0jh.png

Also any feedback on my ranges here is welcome and appreciated! Am I betting too much of my range here? Not enough? Is my open-range for this situation too nitty? Thanks all!
  • William HWilliam H Red Chipper Posts: 76 ✭✭
    You can post on the forum's subcategory under Hand#1 to get feedback and also read what others did with that hand...

https://forum.redchippoker.com/categories/live-workbook-vol-1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file