Was this bluff too ambitious?

neilv93neilv93 Red Chipper Posts: 67 ✭✭
£55 live MTT, 10k effective stack in level two 50/100.

Villain raises to 250 from MP, ABC player on the BTN calls, SB folds and I call from the BB with :4d:4h

:Ah:2s:3d flop with 800 in the middle. I check, villain c-bets 275 and BTN calls, then I make it 800.

Reasons for doing this:
- my hand is too weak to call
- I can put pressure on the two other players to fold an Ace
- I can win the hand right now without having to improve
- I can rep a strong range - A2, A3, 45, 22, 33 for straight up value.

I could just fold but I think this is a great spot for a post-flop squeeze but please let me know if you think otherwise.

Villain calls (I put him on AT+) and BTN folds.

:Ah:2s:3d turn comes :8c and with 2675 in the middle I continue for 1700. Thoughts on continuing and sizing? Villain calls again.

:Ah:2s:3d:8c river comes :Tc . At this point there is 6075 and I have 7250 behind (Villain slightly more).

I gave up and checked and Villain checked back with... Jacks. Guess he knew I was full of sh*t.

Should I have barreled river? I debated making a small bet to look value-y, something in the 2500-3500 mark and I debated even over-shoving but bottled it and gave up because I didn't think he was going to fold a big Ace. Thoughts on the bluff and whether I should've given up on the turn/river (I know I could've folded flop... but I didn't). Thanks!

Comments

• kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think your logic is a little off.
    Say you did call with AQ or AK... wouldn't a single paired hand be "worried" about 54 2-pair or a set of 2s or 3s?

Say you had 54... wouldn't you want to milk more value from your hand?

A check/raise is supposed to signal strength... but in this context - the board is so dry, it feels more like a bluff than a monster. Most sets, str8s and 2-pair hands would typically peel one off. So the "strong range" that you're representing is really off imo.
    Such a strong range would not be check/raising such a dry-ish board.

I also think your desire to push a player off an A is very fancy play.
    Tourney players are very sticky and tend to play as calling stations more than str8 ABC.

but to answer your question - IF you are repping such a strong range (poorly played imo) - then yeah, you should be barreling the river - like All In.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    low stakes live MTT and you want to make people fold top pair?

that said you have to be thinking about this before raising the flop and betting the turn.

as a general rule just bluff when their range is weak and/or capped - KISS
  • MonadMonad Red Chipper Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭✭
    Way too ambitious.
  • uglytunauglytuna Red Chipper Posts: 130 ✭✭
    If V is holding AT+ and calls X/R and Turn, I don't think he is folding River. Although maybe with JJ he may possible fold to your line on the river.

Really depends on your image and his playing style. If you have loose image and V is sticky, doesn't make a good recipe for a blufff.

You got heart, so that's something.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file