Just took over 10 min to start: Is something broken?

Spencer HSpencer H Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
I bought FF about a month ago and tonight was the first real chance for me to sit down and give it a go. When I first clicked the open it took around 20 min to open, the thing was I had no output to indicate that it might be updating or otherwise doing anything. I ended up opening 2.

Also, I am getting a strange ding that seems random much like you might hear if you clicked something wrong in windows. This seems to happen 10-20 sec after I click on things...

So is something wrong with my computer? Do I just need to update FF? Update java? Please help me out here.

Comments

• Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,867 -
    Can you give your system specs? The good new is it is working. Flop Falcon is built on top of a heavy engineering software engine. 20 minute start-up is of course very excessive.

Can you reboot the machine and try again? There might be first time startup thinkgs happening with the MATLAB engine that will not occur again.

Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • Spencer HSpencer H Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    I hate to put off trouble shooting but I won't be able to reboot my machine right now.

Ok, so I just started FF again after closing it and it was less than 30 sec or maybe right at it. I'd say it seems a little more responsive now too.

I use MATLAB with some python stuff but looks like this is Java (due to the icon on the window) so maybe they have nothing to do with each other. And I am pretty sure all my stuff is closed (and does not continue running by accident).
    MATLAB itself uses the Java engine for sure. MATLAB is massive overkill for this kind of calculation but it is the language I know from my past life as an engineer. If there is any performance issues it is because of the heavy-weight engine that I run on.

It does sound like it got better. With a reboot, I would expect even better.
  • Spencer HSpencer H Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Ok, thank you very much for your help! I am enjoying the software so far, but still, like a padawan learner
    Check the help menu for the links to videos for Flop Falcon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file