Ramp Up Strategy

tengusteeltengusteel Red Chipper Posts: 119 ✭✭
edited March 2015 in General Concepts
Thanks to the Redchip team, I'm enjoying a new strategy. But I have a question.
I buy-in for 40bb and short stack until I have >60bb
Then I convert to the Peter P James Mid-stack Strategy until 80bb if I didn't get to skip this level of play.
Once I have 80bb, I start using the consolidated opening ranges from Doug's Article about opening ranges. And I start getting practice playing deeper.
Once I get to 200bb, where I have the least experience, I either move stakes or move rooms, rinse and repeat.
Question: Would I be better off just skipping the short-stack strategy if I'm feeling comfortable with the Peter P James material? It seems like it would be more time efficient to just buy-in at 70bb and skip short stacking.

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,950 -
    First, why are you shortstacking? Is your edge shortstacking that much greater? Is it something else entirely?

Once we understand that, the rest of the conversation will unfold nicely =)
    My new book lays out the playbook for AK. Grab your copy and start Optimizing Ace King!
  • tengusteeltengusteel Red Chipper Posts: 119 ✭✭
    SplitSuit wrote:
    First, why are you shortstacking? Is your edge shortstacking that much greater? Is it something else entirely?

Once we understand that, the rest of the conversation will unfold nicely =)

I'm Midstacking, not the same as shortstacking.
    I find that when sitting at 2/5 tables in LV that half the table or more are grinding regs. They are all playing the same TAG style with 100bb and there are sometimes one LAG. The edge I'm trying to develop is being better at playing a 40bb-70bb stack vs 100bb stack BETTER than they play their 100bb vs my MidStack. I like how I can make relatively small 3bets that take my stack just to the edge of commitment, and this leverages my stack optimally and does so on an early street depending on the preflop action. My opponent has to decide to play for my stack or not. Another factor I like, is the smaller stack size is a good weapon against all the set miners since I don't have enough behind to allow them to correctly draw to their set. The more I play Midstack, the more I'm liking the strategy. This may be a fad, until grinding regs learn to adjust, but it's going well so far. Either they just fold or they incorrectly play against my stack size. Also, I see a lot less floating and multi street bluffs because if I have a good hand, I'll be playing for a stack by the turn if not on the flop. When I have more experience, I would like to LAG. But in getting that experience, I am going to take the following path. I will buy in at 40bb and Midstack my way up to 80bb. I'm not rat-rolling, at 80bb I start playing more like the typical 100bb stack. But if I make some big mistake, I'm only in for 40bb.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file