WSOP Colossus Strategy Prep

zampana1970zampana1970 Red Chipper Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
Hi - I'm going to take shots at the $565 Colossus III in the first week of the WSOP. I'd love to hear thoughts and advice as best way to prep and play for this tournament - one rebuy per flight, a new flight every 12 hrs or so. 30min steps with starting stack of 5000 so fast! Big field as well - will be the biggest live tournament I've played.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

http://www.wsop.com/pdfs/structuresheets/structure_1352_15605.pdf
Tagged:

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,082 -
    Know your push/fold tables. These are for SNGs, but you can modify accordingly: https://redchippoker.com/push-fold-charts-wsop-satellites/

And of course, GLGL!
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • zampana1970zampana1970 Red Chipper Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    Thanks James these are great! I have an app I've played with that quizzes different push/fold spots and I'm pretty good, except right on the margins - that's the trickiest spot to remember how to play. For a long time I would push fold 10bb and less - but then I watched a video on a competing site and they suggested a more mixed strategy: in among the pushes, also mix in some standard raises with premiums and bluff hands. I've been trying this my last few tournaments, to mixed results. Sample size isn't big enough for any definitive conclusions...
    Oh another question - what's the field like during the Colossus? Do we see a lot of skilled, thoughtful confident players, or because this is one of the cheaper events, this is the one everyone and his dog plays?
  • BradWIBradWI Red Chipper Posts: 42 ✭✭
    It's filled with people who couldn't beat a $60 tournament if they tried. That said, if you go card dead you're out quick. It's too fast IMO. I played the first two years but won't be playing this year. Cash games are pretty good that weekend since you have an extra 20,000 tournament donkeys in town. Long lists...

If tournaments are your thing though, the nightly Rio deep stacks get record numbers during Colossus weekend.
    Excellent tip! I wasnt sure if the Rio would be playing anything other than Colossus. I have BI and maybe a rebuy for the event and then the rest of my time in town will be side cash and tournies.
  • SicSemperSicSemper Red Chipper Posts: 112 ✭✭
    Hey, @zampana1970, what's that app you referenced? Sounds like something I'd like to check out. Thanks!
    edited May 2017
    @SicSemper For the android I've used Snapshove and on the web I've spent some money on ICMizer -- both have a quizzing section, ICMizer's being much more specific and customizable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file