How to improve my game to be a winner consistently?`

Joshua KJoshua K Red Chipper Posts: 82 ✭✭
I am fairly new to the game (being out for nearly 10 years). I have had the recent opportunity to seek poker as a career vs just a hobby. I want to take it serious and have been reviewing the information on this site, watching vids on youtube, reading through the forums and reading books.

However, I find it hard because I learn more from seeing strategies live and discussing hands. I know a poker coach could be an option, but I don't think that I have the ability to communicate in a way that I could understand them very easily.

I have sought out a friend whom provides advice, but it is hard for him to take the time to have discussions when we are far from one another and he spends about 15 hours at the card room himself.

Any recommendations of what else I could do to ensure that I have great understandings of my own individual game based on my learning style? Or, is there anyone in the San Jose area that is looking for a poker partner?

Comments

• Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,867 -
    Joshua K wrote: »

but I don't think that I have the ability to communicate in a way that I could understand them very easily.

What do you mean by this? Your post is pretty clear, so why do you think communication i s a problem?
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • Joshua KJoshua K Red Chipper Posts: 82 ✭✭
    Doug Hull wrote: »

but I don't think that I have the ability to communicate in a way that I could understand them very easily.

What do you mean by this? Your post is pretty clear, so why do you think communication i s a problem?

I feel I am not familiar with all the terms and in a previous post of hand explanation, it was clear that I did not communicate it well.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,071 -
    I know a poker coach could be an option, but I don't think that I have the ability to communicate in a way that I could understand them very easily.

Do you have a learning or communication disability? Or is this just a mental roadblock you have?
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're thinking about poker as a source of income - then you need to treat it as a business. If I were starting a business - I would seek out others that have had successful businesses or who offer solid advice on how to run a successful business...

you're probably seeing where I'm going... which is at the very least, subscribe to a training site that offers good advice/tactics on how to play optimally. but more important than that is creating a solid strategy that you can use to make a constant profit in the game... and for that, it does require a coach.
    I don't think that I have the ability to communicate in a way that I could understand them very easily.
    imo, this is a cop-out. if you can put words together to form sentences, then you can communicate. many coaches will coach over skype so you can have a visual as well as audio connection. maybe not every coach is for you. but I'm certain if you tried, you could find a coach that would be able to explain things to you in a way that helps improve your game and not confuse you. (when I first went "pro" - my first act was getting a coach.)

there was much discussion here earlier about how training sites really don't teach "strategy" but instead offer "tactics" and "insights" into playing optimally. These tactics are helpful and useful... but if you don't see the big picture as to when and why they work, you're not getting the most out of your game.... and imo, that's what's separates winning pros from break-even players.
  • Joshua KJoshua K Red Chipper Posts: 82 ✭✭
    kagey wrote: »
    If you're thinking about poker as a source of income - then you need to treat it as a business. If I were starting a business - I would seek out others that have had successful businesses or who offer solid advice on how to run a successful business...

you're probably seeing where I'm going... which is at the very least, subscribe to a training site that offers good advice/tactics on how to play optimally. but more important than that is creating a solid strategy that you can use to make a constant profit in the game... and for that, it does require a coach.
    I don't think that I have the ability to communicate in a way that I could understand them very easily.
    imo, this is a cop-out. if you can put words together to form sentences, then you can communicate. many coaches will coach over skype so you can have a visual as well as audio connection. maybe not every coach is for you. but I'm certain if you tried, you could find a coach that would be able to explain things to you in a way that helps improve your game and not confuse you. (when I first went "pro" - my first act was getting a coach.)

there was much discussion here earlier about how training sites really don't teach "strategy" but instead offer "tactics" and "insights" into playing optimally. These tactics are helpful and useful... but if you don't see the big picture as to when and why they work, you're not getting the most out of your game.... and imo, that's what's separates winning pros from break-even players.

Ok. Any suggestions on how to find a coach that may best fit my style of learning? Or, is there anyone you have worked with that you found was very helpful in leading to your success?
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,071 -
    The fact that 3 different people all said the same thing within a 5minute window - lets you know where to start =)
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,867 -
    Basically every video creator, and several of the prominent posters have at times taken people on. Watch a bunch of videos, read a lot of posts. Someone will fit the style you want. Approach them.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • kageykagey Red Chipper, KINGOFTAGS Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug, SplitSuit and @persuadeo are all smart coaches that work with beginning players. Just send them a private message and ask for an informal meeting - where you can go over what know, what you want to learn and how you learn best. (as well as rates and how often you want to meet).

every coach will probably have a different way of coaching... so the more you can discuss how you expect the coaching goes before the coaching begins, the better the relationship will start off on.

GL
  • RCP Coach - Fausto ValdezRCP Coach - Fausto Valdez RCP Coach Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    kagey wrote: »
    Doug, SplitSuit and @persuadeo are all smart coaches that work with beginning players. Just send them a private message and ask for an informal meeting - where you can go over what know, what you want to learn and how you learn best. (as well as rates and how often you want to meet).

every coach will probably have a different way of coaching... so the more you can discuss how you expect the coaching goes before the coaching begins, the better the relationship will start off on.

GL

all great choices, and just to throw it out there, im starting coaching soon :) .. announcement on its way ...
    COACHING NOW AVAILABLE HERE
    MY COACHING REVIEWS HERE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file