Cutting down on soda

jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
I used to drink an awful lot of soda. I was never addicted to it (I know some people claim to be). I just love the taste and feel and it goes great with certain foods. It was never the caffeine. To experiment, I drank the caffeine free versions for awhile with no difference. I took care of my teeth and I was exercising a crazy amount, so the extra calories were never an issue. As long as I got nutrition from other sources, I looked at it as empty calories I enjoyed and could "afford". Then at about the same time, I moved to a company that offered free drinks, and my exercise level dropped. I drank usually 2 free sodas with my lunch, and usually another at home. If I watched a home movie with popcorn, I'd probably drink 24-32 oz with that.

Then I finally gained about 6 pounds by the end of that year.

I switched to diet soda, but then I started to read that was bad for you. I switched back to regular and cut back a little. Then I started to read of problems with sugar, beyond the normal oral hygiene and "nutrition blocking" and caloric intake issues.

So I started cutting back in other ways. One way was mixing with seltzer water. One great drink is half Wink or Squirt (grapefruit) with half grapefruit seltzer, like La Croix. Another is half Sprite or 7 Up with half lemon-lime seltzer. You can drink the same amount of liquid, but with half the sugar and calories, and none of the things they say are nasty in diet sodas.

After awhile with that, the full soda tasted too sweet, and I preferred the half and half. When I wanted a Coke, I would drink an 8 oz. bottle of Coke Life - it has less sugar, and it's a smaller serving than a full can, so it's 18g of sugar compared to 35 for a can of Coke. (It has some Stevia, which is different from artificial sweeteners.)

Now I mostly just drink seltzer water, especially La Croix. I find a big draw of soda in the first place is the carbonation, and I really like that. Cheaper versions work too.

Comments

• NinjahNinjah Red Chipper Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭
    I was sort of in this same boat. I loved soda and HATED water. I've always been athletic so weight has never been an issue but I heard so many things about soda that I quit drinking it about 6 years ago and forced myself to drink water. It was tough for the first couple of months but the soda cravings went away and water has been my primary drink ever since. I have around 1 bottle of soda per week nowadays and about 75% of my daily fluid intake is milk or water.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    If you want to drink healthy, there is only water.

Everything else will be either with chemical (=cancer & else risks) like aspartame as pseudo sugar, or (way too much) sugar like regular coke (=diabete & else risks).
    Milk is also no the best as it has sugar and fat - plus, for some, the issue of lactose intolerance.
    Even drinking fruit juice is not the best, because you gonna have a high intake of sugar (even if it's the natural sugar of the fruit itself).

Worst for you North America: the sugar in your soda are usually made from corn syrup, which is a very bad one because of its high fructose %. (In Europa, sugar comes usually from either sugar cane or sugar beet.) By that, regular coke in Europa is "healthier" than coke in the US.
    If you didn't know the difference between both: http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Red wrote: »

You know of some issues with seltzers?

jeffnc wrote: »

You know of some issues with seltzers?

I never really looked into that or heard anything about them. Looking for info, the only issues I could read what against the additive some brands put into their seltzers, be it citric acid, sweeteners, caffeine and/or sodium.

Nothing about sparkling water (only carbonated water) itself.

And for you @jeffnc : no clue goes toward health risk by drinking La Croix. Some articles I found interesting :
    - "Is LaCroix bad for your teeth?" (The Atlantic, 1st of Feb 2016)
    - "Is LaCroix actually healthy?" (Stack.com, 24th of Jan 2017)
    Great, just what I needed to hear :(

But, I think I can deal with those issues for now.....
    Worst for you North America: the sugar in your soda are usually made from corn syrup, which is a very bad one because of its high fructose %.

This is actually why some US consumers seek out the Mexican version of Coke.

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,930 -
    I didn't see much of a question in the OP, but cutting out soda was one of the best things I did in terms of cutting weight. I shaved about 10lbs in a few months just switching from soda to water fwiw.
    My new book lays out the playbook for AK. Grab your copy and start Optimizing Ace King!
    That's a lot. How much would you say you were drinking per week?
  • bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭✭
    I switched to La Criox about 8 years ago--I haven't looked back.
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,930 -
    That's a lot. How much would you say you were drinking per week?

I was dating my now-wife at the time and we were going out for most meals and I would typically drink 1-2 glasses of soda per meal. In short...FAR too much lol.
    My new book lays out the playbook for AK. Grab your copy and start Optimizing Ace King!
    Very easy to do at the "free refill" restaurants.

Another drink I'll do now is unsweetened iced tea with a little lemonade splashed in.
    Very easy to do at the "free refill" restaurants.

Which we usually don't have in Europa neither. The only place I noticed it was in some (not all) Burger King. Having to pay for your each of your drinks helps somehow to limit the consumption. (I'm reluctant to pay 5 CHF for a soda I could get for 1.3CHF in a store)

This also makes me think about another "drink issue" in the US: the sizes of your drinks. For what I've read/seen, the small size drink in the US are similar the big size drink in Europa.
    A "small" drink in the US is 16oz (473ml); but a small size in Europa is 250/330ml (~11oz).
    A big size drink here, and biggest we can get, is 500ml (~17oz) - when it can go up to 30oz in the US.
    edited May 2017
    It wasn't always that way.....

09sywu3r9xlu.jpg
  • alejandro galejandro g Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Zevia is definitely the way the go. They have a lot of flavors to offer from and none of the bad stuff. A little more expensive but the way to go if you still have need for a soda like drink.
    Zevia is supposedly available at Targets near me. Anyone else have any experience with it?
  • William HWilliam H Red Chipper Posts: 76 ✭✭
    I've had type 2 diabetes patients drinking a ton of soda that when hey stopped were able to stop their insulin control their diabetes with just diet and exercise. Soda is definitely bad.
  • William HWilliam H Red Chipper Posts: 76 ✭✭
    If I want a fizzy drink I usually get plain soda water with a small splash of cranberry juice or OJ
    OK I tried the Zevia. Very encouraged to pour the cola and see it is clear. Who needs caramel color? I always wondered why someone didn't make clear cola. Upon tasting, my interest dropped pretty quickly. A generically artificial sweet taste, with nothing really resembling cola flavor as far as I could tell. The ginger ale was a little better.

I might drink another flavor occasionally, but cola is a damn good taste to me. If I get a hankering for it some time, I'll probably stick with the 8 oz. bottle of Coke Life, with part Stevia and 17 g of sugar (cane sugar, not HFCS.) Not quite the same taste as regular Coke, but it tastes like cola and doesn't blow my daily sugar intake in one drink.
  • Joshua BJoshua B Red Chipper Posts: 127 ✭✭
    I had the same problem. I was drinking 8 cans of coke a day just at work. Once i was diagnosed type 2 diabetic, I knew I had to do something. I loved the fizziness (if there is such a word) and the taste. I replaced my habits with 1.25 litre bottles of sparkling water. Obviously it doesnt have the same taste as soft drink, so to counteract this I add lemon or lime wedges to it. Squeeze the lemon into the bottle first then drop the wedge in. It broke my habit. I am not saying that I dont have soft drink but I just have a limit now. I drink at least 2.5 litres of water a day now.
    I think just like the caveats about La Croix et al, things like lemons have acidity too and probably aren't too good for your teeth, so rinsing with water after might not be a bad idea.

There's a dentist who plays poker with us - asked him one time what he thought was worse when drinking a Coke - the immediate effect of the acid, or the long term effect of the sugar (indirect acid). He said probably the immediate acid.
  • Jónas SJónas S Red Chipper Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    Gave up on Soda some good 8 years ago, actually tried it once after the first 6 months or so, it tasted disgusting after having cleansed it out. Will sometimes drink sprinkle water when the gf sneaks them into the shopping carts but that's about it. Today I feel disgusted just looking at Soda.

Really recommend it, but please, avoid substitution Soda out for drinks like juice -- the sugar content in it is shockingly high. Some parents feed juice to their kids since they think it's healthy and the kids get addicted, why? Because there' so much sugar. Even in "clean" orange juice etc the fructose itself is nothing but sugar so going for that does not make things better. Kids at young age are losing their entire set of teeth due to drinking those juices.

All I can say is good luck and keep it up. It's hard to stop drinking Soda but once the peek has passed it's so easy to not go back.
    It's true that parents have felt for a long time that juices are healthy, but finding out now - not so much. Eating an apple or orange is really quite different from drinking apple/orange juice.
  • Jónas SJónas S Red Chipper Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    It's true that parents have felt for a long time that juices are healthy, but finding out now - not so much. Eating an apple or orange is really quite different from drinking apple/orange juice.

Huge difference but no need to go overboard.
  • MailmanMailman Red Chipper Posts: 44 ✭✭
    OK I tried the Zevia. Very encouraged to pour the cola and see it is clear. Who needs caramel color? I always wondered why someone didn't make clear cola. .

oi4542uu206v.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file