OOP with A7s

jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is not my hand, I just wondered what people thought about the following hand posted by Jonathan Little.

This hand was from a $1,500 buy-in event. A generally straightforward player limped from second position out of his 12,000 effective stack at 50/100. I decided to limp from 3rd position with As-7s. While raising to 400 in attempt to isolate the limper is a fine play, I am a big fan of keeping many opponents in when I have a hand that can somewhat easily make the nuts. A loose, splashy player raised to 450 from the hijack seat. Everyone folded around to me, including the initial limper, and I decided to call 350 more. When you limp with a hand that has a large amount of postflop potential, when facing a reasonably sized raise, you should tend to call and see a flop.

http://jonathanlittlepoker.com/notgoingbroke/

Comments

• tagliustaglius Red Chipper Posts: 290 ✭✭
    Johnathon Little might be able to get away with it but I can't. We're entering a situation without position or initiative, and who knows if we have better cards than he does. (we're most likely a small favorite or a big dog, not a great situation to be in).

If I was closer to the button and there were multiple limpers I would consider limping behind. If there was still one limper I would definitely raise to isolate. Here it feels like we're playing fit or fold vs. one player.
  • SliverOverlordSliverOverlord Red Chipper Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    Interesting hand. At 1-2 or online micros I'm jamming over the top because "the nuts" has a very wide meaning.

His line preflop makes sense, but would make more sense if we knew more about table dynamics. If I expected to get 3 more limpers and go 6 way to the flop with a suited ace, it makes sense. But exposing yourself to being isolated makes me think jonathon little thinks he has an edge over everyone behind him and can defend an additional big blind this round very well. This play preflop was probably close to a worst case scenario, bailed out by the flop, and then worst case scenario river.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Against a loose splashy player who has position, FE goes out the door. Which A7s needs to be profitable. Basically hoping to make a hand and trap a ABC player in the middle when both players check to the raiser. Seems like a high variance play on the gambling side.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he posted the hand to make a point (obviously) - which was how smart it was to not go broke in a "cooler" hand there. And I think he had a good point in that sense. But I think if we were sitting at that table and didn't know him, just based on his preflop play we might tag him as a typical fish. HIs justification was he had "a hand that can somewhat easily make the nuts". Well, I suppose you could say that about any hand. 72o - just flop 777 - easy. The odds of making a flush is about 6%, and that counts backdoors that can't be played out against a bet, not to mention standard draws that can't be played out against a large bet. I just wondered what others thought.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file