Help me with my thinking and 1 or 2 value streets?

CASEY MCASEY M Red Chipper Posts: 168 ✭✭
Blinds: 300/600
Hero: 22k
Villain: 18k
9 handed tourney

Table limps to villain who raises to 2k in the HJ
Hero calls from the CO with :Jc:Qc
Table folds
pot 4900
Flop: :5H::8c:3c
Villain bets 2500
Hero puts villains range as AXs, 77+. My first mistake is that I contemplated folding and then I reminded that a flush draw and 2 overs is worth a call here. Hero calls and decided to raise any turn bet if any broadway card comes.

pot:9900

Turn: :Js
Villain checks
Hero tanks and decided to check because I wasnt sure if I could 2 streets of value here. Hero puts villain range as A5, A8, 77, 99,TT and isnt sure as to what bet size to make to keep the villain in. Hero also realized that if the flush comes through villain will shut down.

River: :2d

Villain checks Hero overbets to 12k. Villains perceived range hasnt changed and hero thinks an overbet will look a missed flush.
Villain tanks and calls 12k

hero wins, villain had A8

Worked out well but Im unsure about my preflop call and turn play.
I also think my initial thought to fold the flop was terrible and Im not sure if a call was the best play.
Please advise

Comments

• DabbyDabby Red Chipper Posts: 84 ✭✭
    **DISCLAIMER: I am not a largely successful player. I am still in the beginning stages of this stuff. Take my advice with a grain of salt, and feel free to critique it.

I'm okay with the preflop call, for the most part. Considering the amount of money in the pot. However there are a number of players to act behind you, I would plan on folding to any 3 bet preflop.

On the flop, I think the Villain is (successfully) C-betting most of his range on this flop. I don't hate the call with the plan you outlined. However, depending on your perception of this villain, a semi-bluff 3 bet might not be a terrible play. Most of his range misses the flop, there's a good chance you take the pot here with a decent size 3-bet.

The turn, I think following your original plan is better here. I think you should be betting this card for value. 1/2 pot size bet would be fine. Checking loses a lot of value, especially if the flush comes on the River. You said it yourself:
    CASEY M wrote: »
    Turn: :Js
    Villain checks
    Hero tanks and decided to check because I wasnt sure if I could 2 streets of value here. Hero puts villain range as A5, A8, 77, 99,TT and isnt sure as to what bet size to make to keep the villain in. Hero also realized that if the flush comes through villain will shut down.
    If you know he's shutting down when it comes, you need to get your value for it on the turn.

On the river, your overbet looks weak and I like the bet. However, if villain puts you on flush draw, there's a chance you get the remainder of his stack if you had bet the turn, and then put him all in when the flush misses the river.

My evaluation; you got close to max value for the flush missing. However if flush hits, you likely just rake in the 9900 and lose the value that a bet on the turn could give you.
  • CASEY MCASEY M Red Chipper Posts: 168 ✭✭
    Thanks any idea on bet size for the turn?
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preflop 2k
    Flop 2500
    Turn (9900) 583J
    V (13500)
    H:

I think betting small like 4k is nice sizing at 40% pot and helps set up river shoves. River will be 17,900 and villain will only have half pot left in his stack.

Preflop vs 3.x open its very close to a fold at 30bb effective. Have to be willing to gamble on this flop if your going to play this hand. Can't think about folding here on the flop.
  • SaintsTigersSaintsTigers Red Chipper Posts: 244 ✭✭
    Austin wrote: »

Preflop vs 3.x open its very close to a fold at 30bb effective. Have to be willing to gamble on this flop if your going to play this hand. Can't think about folding here on the flop.

This

• AceFromSpaceKKAceFromSpaceKK Red Chipper Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    It is close between folding and calling preflop. As played you can also consider raising the flop to 6 or 7k to get it in if V 3bets. On the turn I like a small bet to get called by 2nd best hands, something like 3.5k. When you check and the river completes the flush it is difficult for you to get any value from hands like A8. In this case the river was in your favor and I really like your overbet there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file