re-raise or just call?

jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in Live Poker Hands
$1-3 loose game V especially loose and bluffy and down from $900-200 back to about $600.
Hero $280

3 limpers hero in BB with :AS::KD: raises to $25 V first limper will limp call a ton of hands, SC PP Ax hands he calls everyone else folds.

Pot $62

Flop :9D::TC::JH: This isn't my board to C-bet here, but I'll call. I check he bet's $25 I call.

Pot $112

Turn :QS: Bink. I check to him as he's decently perceptive if I donk lead it's just way too strong.
I think he will likely bet. He thinks for a bit and checks.

River :JC: I bet about $35 hoping if he was just C-betting or has something weak he may look me up somehow, or may even think I'm just taking a stab at it. He quickly raises to $100. Do we re-pop him all-in? If he had trip jacks I think he has a tough time folding. He folds out his bluffs, his boats stack me, but if he had 2 pair why not bet the turn? I snap called but looking back on it I think a raise is actually not too bad of a play here. Weaker straights....Jacks.... I won he didn't show just laughed and said na your good.

Comments

• TiltboxTiltbox Red Chipper Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The Q should be slowing him down on the turn with hands that fill up on the river, true. That said, given your stack size, an All-In here is still usually best because of the odds your laying him. If he calls with worse more than 50% of the time here your reaching profitability and he sounds like a potential customer.
  • jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He could easily call with an 8 not to mention a K, as well as any jack. You're only shoving $140 into $310 really, getting better than 2:1 I think he can find enough calls in there.
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    jfarrow13 wrote: »
    I won he didn't show just laughed and said na your good.

Why did you show your hand first?
  • bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭
    but if he had 2 pair why not bet the turn?

It's not surprising to me that villain would slow down on the turn with two pair/sets. Those aren't 3 street hands at this point. Most will simply try to realize their equity. For this type of player, a turn bet would be poled, so when they check, they likely have some showdown value. Also, when he raises the river, it's very likely villain has at least a K, but probably a boat. He could check back a few K's on turn, but would likely check back all two pair / set hands. In fact, it's more likely villain does have a boat since you're blocking a K too.

I wonder if he ever turns trips into a bluff on the river since he's blocking a bunch of boats?
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think people on this forum are starting to over think the odds on these low stake games. Just because person is getting 3 to 1 doesn't mean they will call wide. Most of the time people get 3 to 1 and still don't call wide range vs half pot bets.

Stacks on the river are $230 effective.. Hero bets $35 (195 behind) and villain pops it up to $100. What hands do low stake players raise here on the river with a paired board and 4 liner to the straight? At the very worse its Kx 95% of the time. Its unrealistic to think he would raise river with an 8x type hand and call a 3 bet all in just cause he has good odds. You said he was perceptive, but also describe him as a total idiot if you think he is betting 2 pair or raising river with trips. The worse hand you can have here given your $25 raise oop from the BB is AQ or AA. Most of your other hands make straights or boats.

When you look at the overall story of the hand preflop to the river vs this particular villain you can take out 99-JJ for boats but give him all the other Jx and Kx combos. River could go either way vs a loose villain given stack sizes but vs a tag I would never 3 bet river.
  • jfarrow13jfarrow13 Red Chipper Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool, yeah I'm guessing it was Kx or Jx maybe even Kj lol. @moishetreats it's a bad habit I have when I just wanna know if I won I snap call and table my hand. It's really bad, as this type of info is so
    Important. It's one of my old habits I'm trying to break, but people at my games the loose gamblers get mad when you got the "nuts" and make them show they great really defensive which can hurt their willingness to give action. They start labeling you like "OH big wanna be pro trying to get information!"
  • moishetreatsmoishetreats Red Chipper Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    jfarrow13 wrote: »
    people at my games the loose gamblers get mad when you got the "nuts" and make them show they great really defensive which can hurt their willingness to give action. They start labeling you like "OH big wanna be pro trying to get information!"

Fair enough. I find that people don't complain most of the time. But, if they do, then I always respond, "Look, I've been slow-rolled often enough that I just never show when I don't have do." Then, I look at the villain in the hand and add, "Now, I don't think that you'd be doing it, but I've just told myself that I'm never going to show when I don't have to." That works in almost all cases. In the cases where it doesn't, it's usually because the guy trash-talking is an asshole anyway, so I don't care at all.

One note: I do NOT slow-roll myself.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file