Playing a HUGE pot? Too Early?

uglytunauglytuna Red Chipper Posts: 130 ✭✭
I put myself into a difficult spot tonight. However if I won the hand, I probably would not be posting this.

45 minutes into the tournament. I play a HUGE pot that I really didn't want to get into.

I flopped a straight flush combo draw. I 3B the flop as a pot control line, which most likely get me to the River. Typically I expect a call from the V and I check-back and brick cards or barrel if I hit my draw or sense weakness.

To my surprise V 4B and I was too stubborn to fold down.

Can I simply just fold here? I realize I need to hit my draw to win this hand but I figure I was a slight favorite going in.

I do think the V played his hand recklessly.

Comments?

Below is the HH

Blinds 25/50

Seat 2: AsNas (3425 in chips)
Seat 3: bigalric16 (4735 in chips)
Seat 4: Fernando1125 (6474 in chips)
Seat 5: Pealmann (4341 in chips)
Seat 6: UglyTuna23 (6597 in chips)
Seat 7: tesla109525 (3127 in chips)
Seat 9: Rhegium (6301 in chips)
Rhegium: posts small blind 25
AsNas: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to UglyTuna23 [6h 7h]
bigalric16: folds
Fernando1125: raises 125 to 175
Pealmann: folds
UglyTuna23: calls 175
tesla109525: folds
Rhegium: folds
AsNas: calls 125
*** FLOP *** [5h Qd 4h]
AsNas: checks
Fernando1125: bets 550
UglyTuna23: raises 550 to 1100
AsNas: folds
Fernando1125: raises 2750 to 3850
UglyTuna23: raises 2572 to 6422 and is all-in
Fernando1125: calls 2449 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (123) returned to UglyTuna23
*** TURN *** [5h Qd 4h] [5s]
*** RIVER *** [5h Qd 4h 5s] [2d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Fernando1125: shows [Js Qs] (two pair, Queens and Fives)
UglyTuna23: shows [6h 7h] (a pair of Fives)
Fernando1125 collected 13148 from pot
Tagged:

Comments

• bigburge10bigburge10 Red Chipper Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I find this HH format difficult to read--mainly because I have to do math and add up the pot myself and read through a bunch of info that isn't needed. Anyway...

I don't play many tournaments, so take that for what's it's worth.

Looks like Fernando overbets the pot on the flop. So, I don't really like a raise here, especially a min raise--but I do like your reasoning. I think a raise would work better if his sizing wasn't so large, but in this case the probability of being raised increases. So, I think I'd flat since we're likely earning chips through a call--why risk that?

I agree, this player got way out of line with QJ here. And here I thought you were getting out of line:)
  • Curtis KCurtis K Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    I would happily get this all in on the flop. Unless you assume he has a set, you are a fav on the flop against any Queen. Even if he does have QQ here you still have almost 40% equity. You also have the potential that the villain folds to the all-in.

I think you should be okay with getting any open-ended straight flush draw all-in on majority of flops.

Not sure I like the min-raise on the flop but I am okay with raising in this spot.

Cheers,
    Curtis
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,082 -
    Line A: Raise flop. If you do, V likely only continues with hands that you flip against. You pick up direct FE vs things like AK and 22, but not much else.

Line B: Call flop. If you do, you can induce barrels on the turn and have enough room to jam it there if you'd like. You make more money against bluffs and can make better decisions on the turn/river than V likely can.

Which line do you see being more profitable?
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • uglytunauglytuna Red Chipper Posts: 130 ✭✭
    Since I was trying to pot control my draw. I think Line B should of been my play. I really didn't expect the V to jam allin on the flop and I was willing to get it in. I wasn't looking to play a big pot but I can't fold a SFD.

Which is more profitable? I don't know. Which line +EV? I don't know.
  • SaintsTigersSaintsTigers Red Chipper Posts: 244 ✭✭
    Villain bet pretty large into a multi-way pot, so his range is strong. Min raising the flop to get a free card on the turn isn't really a god play in NL hold'em. It opens you up to being re-raised on the flop. Doesn't have much fold equity either. If you do get re-raised, as you did here, then you have to go with your hand, most likely flipping for your tournament life.

As a corollary to this line, I like a flop raise with 2 pair or better hands. Villain's big bet indicates he likes his hand, so you'll be able to get good value with a raise.
  • AustinAustin Red Chipper Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could flat and see the turn maybe turn your hand into a bluff since V is repping strength. I would like to see a raise to about 1800 on the flop to apply some pressure if you are raising. Not this Min raise old school trying to get a free card BS.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file