3 similar hands, 6hand 0.25 / 0.50 local game, preflop decisions against maniacs

Jerod RJerod R Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited May 2017 in Live Poker Hands
First time posting here. These hands all have similar veins of thought / questions so I packaged them. Hopefully that is in line with the usual here and isn't too crazy long.

The table usually has 2 very solid players, a nit, 2-3 maniacs / LAGs, some fish who rotate through, and me as a LAG.

All hands 0.25 / 0.50, first buy in for all players is $20 exact. After awhile $40 max buy ins are allowed. Yes I realize this limits playability with only 40bb all around, but they set it up that way for the rotating fish who don't want to drop more / be at a stack disadvantage, after which the remaining players all have 80+bb or buy in for such. This smallish stack game might make most analysis mute point, but hopefully things can be gleaned from it.

Hand 1:

6-7 handed,
Hero ($26) SB :Qs:Qc
UTG+1 (stack $8.50) raises $1.50
fold to button who raises to $4,
Hero SB raise to $12.
UTG+1 calls all in for $8.50,
Button calls the $12

Flop ($33): :2s:4s:Ts
Hero SB shoves $14, covered by button.
Button tanks, folds.
Turn :Ks , brick river.
UTG+1 reveals :6c:9c
Hero wins with the flush

My questions revolve around the button. He is a very aggro LAG and winning player, and after my raise to $12 he tanks for a really long time trying to fish info before making the call.
I put his 4b calling range at any AK and maybe suited varieties of KQ, AQ, most of which of course I block.

On the flop to my all-in he tanks for a long time and folds after saying if it wasn't spades he would insta-call. He typically doesn't lie in such a spot so I'm guessing AK suited poorly.

In this situation, is jamming the flop the best approach? Yes I have QQ with a spade, and he never has KK or AA, so I'm solid other than AK with a spade or similar better spade draws. Or should I check, most likely inducing a shove. At worst it would be checked back and probably induce him to call my turn shove which I would do with any runout given commitment and that I still have a flush to draw to if the turn was an offsuit A or K.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hand 2:
6 handed, effective stack $25.50
Hero SB :As:Ks
Folded to button who raises to $2
Hero SB 3bet to $6.50
Button jams, covers hero, making the jam worth $19
Pot $26
Hero SB calls all in for $19

Villain reveals :Js:Qs , gets runner runner jacks and wins.

So I got my money in good. The villain is a maniac that doesn't mind throwing money for the laughs. He was the 69s player in hand 1. Despite being so crazy in these two spots he usually has breakeven or winning sessions.

2 questions here:
One is should I always request 2-3 runouts against such a player. What are the pros / cons of multiple runouts?
Two is should I tend to take this line against this player with this action until he adjusts. As in, is AKo or AKs good enough to happily get it in preflop against a maniac. If yes, how about AQs. I have difficulty formulating a range against him since he plays super loose and ultra aggressive. He obviously doesn't always shove, but his playstyle makes reading any street more difficult.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Finally, in a similar vein, hand 3 against a different maniac:
7 handed;
Hero BB :8d:7d
Folds to MP who raises to $2.50
Folds to SB who calls
Hero calls

Flop ($7.50) :5c:8s:9h

SB checks
Hero BB checks
MP jams ~$18 (covered by hero)
SB folds
Hero BB calls.
MP shows :Kc:4c

Hero's pair holds up.

I have seen MP make these shoves with anything except the nuts, simply because he would try to valuetown it with 2 checks to him. So really any holdings are possible; he could have overcard / overpair, underpairs, paired with board, or pair + straight draw. He is always so aggressive and so loose, and it's near the end of the session so he is tired and playing even more loose / aggressive.

My question with this hand is knowing his tendencies, how wide should my calling range be to his frequent 3bets against my preflop raises. Do I tighten up knowing he will be aggressive on future streets which would put me in a pinch if I don't connect, or do I call with my solid openers and not let him push me around, thinking that I will be good against such a wide range.

I have a good positive winrate at this game. Really only the 2 solid players and the nit bet out draws correctly, so Cbets from anyone else are mediocre and exploitable. I just want to tinker a bit to see if I'm playing these situations right. They don't come up too often but I have had multiple crammed into the two most recent sessions.

Comments

• jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jerod R wrote: »
    These hands all have similar veins of thought / questions so I packaged them. Hopefully that is in line with the usual here and isn't too crazy long.

While it's nice to only have to write one intro, the results get very confusing trying to discuss multiple hands in the same thread. In addition, yes, it's too long also.

Hand 1:

The $12 raise commits you (I'm sure you noticed the SPR of approximately .3 by the flop). So just shove preflop. This is short stack poker so don't overthink it, and don't let yourself get into a situation where you've put in half your stack and then fold the flop and give up your equity. Allow your opponent the opportunity to give up his equity preflop and scoop some dead money. Or make him stick it all in with an inferior hand if he wants.
    edited May 2017
    One is should I always request 2-3 runouts against such a player. What are the pros / cons of multiple runouts?

Playing against maniacs can get expensive, so I would always run it more than once. You will hear some incredible pseudo math from your friends regarding running it multiple times. Just nod your head and then throw it in the mental trash bin where it belongs. One benefit of running it once is that if your opponents know you will only run it once, it can scare some people into folding. Some players, especially TAGs or weak-tights are scared of busting out. If you think that's to your advantage, then don't run it twice. But poker is a social game and I would always do what the other guy wants, and also prefer to reduce my own variance by running it twice. What you have and what they have is completely irrelevant to that choice though.
    Two is should I tend to take this line against this player with this action until he adjusts. As in, is AKo or AKs good enough to happily get it in preflop against a maniac. If yes, how about AQs. I have difficulty formulating a range against him since he plays super loose and ultra aggressive. He obviously doesn't always shove, but his playstyle makes reading any street more difficult.

As you noted in your last comment, short stack poker just kills any benefits maniacs have. People fear maniacs when they know they have to play multiple streets against them. The fewer the streets, the more laughably easy it is to play against maniacs. Yes, shove happily with AK and AQ and probably more than that too. The small pocket pairs are definitely to be avoided, because then you're just shooting yourself in the foot. Just as one quick example, 22 is an underdog to all suited connectors 54 and above. You're normally safe with TT+ and AJ+, and more than that if you want to have an action party. You have to worry about other players trying to do the same as you, of course. Nothing worse than "catching" the maniac all in with AJ, only to find that you are also in the hand with the weak-tighty doing the same thing, in which case your AJ sux.
    Hero BB :8d:7d
    Folds to MP who raises to $2.50
    Folds to SB who calls
    Hero calls

This is a fold preflop. The hand is a poor choice given the large raise size, the very short stacks, and the poor position. Insta-fold.

Hand 2:
    6 handed, effective stack $25.50
    Hero SB :As:Ks
    Folded to button who raises to $2
    Hero SB 3bet to $6.50
    Button jams, covers hero, making the jam worth $19

Frankly I'm not sure why you guys are even playing this much poker preflop. You realize you're going to have an SPR of 1 on the flop, right? So what's your plan if villain just calls you preflop and then you whiff the flop? Are you going to fold? That's just bad poker. You really don't have enough chips to be doing this, so just shove preflop for any 3-bet hand you want to play when you're 40BB deep or less.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file