Barbell training

jeffncjeffnc Red Chipper Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in Nutrition & Fitness
I've done random weight training in the past, but I'm sold on freeweights nowadays. Before the recent popularity of CrossFit gyms, freeweight barbell gyms were hard to come by in certain areas. I ended up buying some used equipment and putting it in my house so it's a lot easier.

We have @Ryan A with us who is a Starting Strength coach. Starting Strength is a book written by Mark Rippetoe and has blossomed into an entire coaching industry. The basic idea is using core lifts such as squat (especially), deadlift, bench press, etc. to strengthen the body more naturally - i.e. to load the body as it was meant to be loaded when using the correct form to strengthen all complementary and supporting muscle groups and tissues together at the same time.

Contrast that with the popularity in many gyms with the machines that do the opposite - isolate your muscles to make them work unnaturally. I suppose this has some benefit for bodybuilders who need to target a specific muscle to make it bigger, but for athletes or anyone trying to get stronger in their daily life, it can sometimes have a negative effect. You could be more prone to injuries since a certain muscle can get so strong that it overpowers the surrounding support muscles, ligaments and tendons, and those can tear. It's probably impossible to use the circuit machines to get a balanced body workout, while with the core lifts it can't help but happen. (And I include Smith machines too - anything where you don't have to keep the weight from falling and losing the balance is not ideal.)

As I once read on a forum somewhere, if you want to get strong, lift heavy shit off the ground!

Anyway, if you have any interest in getting stronger for sports or just living your life, feel free to ask Ryan questions!

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file