Live games hand history apps?

dukeiyerdukeiyer Red Chipper Posts: 14
edited February 2017 in General Concepts
Does anyone use any phone/tablet apps that allow you to easily capture live game notes for later analysis? I am torn between the choice of writing down things in a piece of paper and typing them in later on vs discreetly tracking people when they think I am just texting.

Cheers!
Tagged:

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,034 -
    I personally just use a Google Doc to write down hands...but you could check out ShareMyPair for re-creating HHs.
  • dukeiyerdukeiyer Red Chipper Posts: 14
    SplitSuit wrote:
    I personally just use a Google Doc to write down hands...but you could check out ShareMyPair for re-creating HHs.
    Thanks, I think I'll try electronic note taking then. ShareMyPair sounds like fun, but would still require 'transcribing' if I want to do any analysis.
  • MattPMattP Red Chipper Posts: 98 ✭✭
    I take quick notes in Evernote on my phone and clean them up afterwards. Just the essentials.

Overall, I try to keep my focus at the table and my phone in my pocket, but when a particularly notable hand occurs, I'll take a quick minute to jot down the basics in Evernote. Sometimes it's worth stepping away from the table for a minute...
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,034 -
    MattP wrote:
    ...I'll take a quick minute to jot down the basics in Evernote...

That's a great idea. Evernote is pretty perfect for this sort of thing.
  • ArtArtBobartArtArtBobart Red Chipper Posts: 356 ✭✭
    I also love using evenote because I can tag players in each hand to create my own player database.
  • Stu PidassoStu Pidasso Red Chipper Posts: 50
    I also love using evenote because I can tag players in each hand to create my own player database.

I use evernote too to keep notes on the regs. I would love to see some detail as to how you use it because I suck at Evernote and stuff like this so I know I am not using it to its fullest potential.
    I just have a note on each reg. After a session I update that note with any interesting things that happen. When I sit down at a table I just read my notes on the regs that happen to be seated that instant. Then I think about how I can go about exploiting their tendencies
    I typically create one note per session and store that note in a poker notebook within the app. I then tag the note with each player I played with that night. I originally tried using handwriting in the app, but using text turned out to be easiest.

I was initially ambitious and tried to create player profiles after reviewing my notes. Here was my first attempt:

"Profile: xxxx is too loose, calling raises from some players with weak offsuit hands. He limps with junk hands. He will continue with overcards / gutshots with unawareness of pot odds/implied odds. He *tends* not to c-bet or only fires one barrel. He used to raise all sorts of weak hands but his raising range seems *slightly* improved, though his late position raises may be lighter. He seems to be more cautious against me recently.

Counter-Strategies: Raise his limps. Consider 3-betting his late position raises. Float him on the flop."
    P.S. there are several good Evernote tutorials on YouTube.
  • MattPMattP Red Chipper Posts: 98 ✭✭
    Love the idea of tagging the session notes with opponent names. Hadn't thought of that...

In addition to jotting down hands of note, I keep occasional notes on player tendencies or notable things I spot with them (either in their play or any possible tells)... I keep a separate note just on opponents, and update it later with any notes from a session, similar to ArtArtBobart's profile ideas... I'll include stuff I'm not sure about, but should continue to observe. Simple example.
    "Andrew"
    — Preloads bets/folds
    — Raised big OOP with A5h... shoved for $80 with Flush draw
    — Called PF shove with QQ
    — Shoved PF with JJ
    — May have posture tells? (leans forward with better stuff?)
    — On big hand makes big turn bet then starts playing with phone, acting disinterested. Opponent makes river OOP shove for $60 (small vs pot), he folds... Acting indifferent, bored on phone while in hand may mean weakness?
  • Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,790 -
    By far, pen and paper is the most useful to me. Also, voice recorder app is great too. I just take a walk and give all the notes as if on a phone call.
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • EazzyEazzy Red Chipper Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a 7 inch android tablet...so I have a little more room then a phone...

I created a simple pdf document....looks like a blank version of the tables Doug and Ed use in their books to present hands...

then I use a simple pdf annotator and a stylus to fill in the hand record at the table...(you just have remember to rename the pdf after you fill it in so you have the original still blank for the next hand.. )
  • Big OwlBig Owl Red Chipper Posts: 170
    I do almost same on my iPad mini. i have Doug's hand recorded sheet as a picture and placed in app called bamboo paper it is a drawing app. I use stylus as pencil and fill in just like paper.
    I should mention that Evernote also lets you save voice notes. I haven't played with it much, but the voice to text feature seems to work well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file